Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

soil ph

Old 02-02-2006, 08:55 AM

Default soil ph

Everybody knows soil ph is important. What nobody talks about is the time it takes to make a change in ph after liming.

I would like to hear from the limers what there ph was before liming, how much lime they used, and what there ph changed to after a period of time.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 11:21 AM

Default RE: soil ph

Here's a quote from the Virginia Cooperative Extension Soil Test Report I received: " The lime recommendations are for a single application that will last from two to three years. After that time the soil should be retested. For best results, lime should be applied several months ahead of the crop to be planted to allow time for a more complete soil reaction." It is kind of general, but thank goodness I don't have to worry about it. My soils ph was 7.3 :-)
Old 02-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

Have'nt done one YET. But from the research I've done I've heard thatseveral months at least and ideally6 months. Also make sure you disk it in. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

yep, 6 months. max you should apply at one time is 2-2.5 ton per acre. You can apply more if you are plowing/discing it in,
Old 02-04-2006, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hoosierdady
Everybody knows soil ph is important. What nobody talks about is the time it takes to make a change in ph after liming.

I would like to hear from the limers what there ph was before liming, how much lime they used, and what there ph changed to after a period of time. Thanks
The time it takes for a lime application to change the soil PH has alot of variables. Buffering capacity of the soil, how fine the limestone is ground, the ammount of calcium and magnesium carbonates in the lime, how deep the lime is disked into the soil.

My last soil test came back at a ph of 6.4. To bring the soil up to a PH of 6.8 recommended 3 T/a of 60-69 limeOR 2.5 T/a of 80-89 lime. It also included the note: "If lime has been applied in the last two years, more lime may not be needed due to incomplete reaction." "Because of the low potassium buffering capacity of this soil, retest every 2 years."

If you really want optimum results as if you were a farmer and not just a foodplotter .... have your soil tests done at your State University Soil and Plant Analysis Lab. Usually your local county extension office will have forms and soil sample bags, and will even send the samples in for you. The Buffering capacity of the soil needs to be tested to determine required lime, not just a PH measurement.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the reply 1saqittarius. That is the kind of info I am looking for.

Hadyourph been 5.4 , would that amount of lime be able to move it to 5.8? Or would it take even more lime to move it .4 of a point in way more acidic soil?
Old 02-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Use the 5 Spade Method to check PH of soil. Take one spade from each coner of property and one from the middle and mix together. You can also use Dolomite according to PH instead of Lime.
DOLOMITE (Calcium Magnesium Carbonate)

Old 02-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hoosierdady
Hadyourph been 5.4 , would that amount of lime be able to move it to 5.8? Or would it take even more lime to move it .4 of a point in way more acidic soil?
Much more. AsI recall, 6 is 10 times more acidic than 7, and 5 is 10 times more acidic than 6.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's the buffering capacity of the soil that makes all the difference.

In sandy soil - 2 ton/acre of lime can move the Ph up a full point - but not move it at all In heavy clay.

It is just to too tough to talk in general terms - how much lime to apply without all the details.

In some soils - it just doesn't pay to try to raise the Ph to some Clover or Alfalfa levels- you might better plant BFO or Rye. Or apply enough Lime to plant an acid tolerant White clover. In 6 years - I have not been able to grow Alfalfa - even with decent Liming in some spots. I concentrate on clovers as a result.