Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

soil sample

Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default soil sample

I had some rain 2 days ago and when I went to take a sample, the soil was still wet. Should I wait and take another sample when it dries out, or can I take the soil that I took and let it dry out in the bucket, before sending it to the lab?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: soil sample

No problem on the moisture. Just let the bucket stay in the sun for a week or so. As long as it hasn't been mixxed yet. Mixxing wet soil can change the structure.
Blessings
Old 02-13-2009, 04:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Take your samples and spread them in empty beer/soda cardboard flats and let them dry. Pick out the rocks and vegetative matter you can and then send the dry sample in to be tested.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Moisture is no problem, a lot of pH meters require liquidizing the soil to test it anyways
Old 02-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

zophy, glad you asked this, I was wondering the same thing.

Good info everyone..
Old 02-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

I used to run a soil lab for 7+ years, and have tested over 500,000 soil samples. The moisture isn't a problem, the samples will be air dried in an oven at the lab. You should mix the sample in the bucket.The lab probably will not do that for you. Once they have dried out, they are very hard to mix and the lab will only test a portion of your total sample.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the helpful info.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

is mossy oak biologic soil tests good? and how do you get a good sample?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

is mossy oak biologic soil tests good? and how do you get a good sample?
You get a good representative sample by getting some soil from 8 or 10 places throughout the planting area. Biologic will do the same tests that your ag-center or extension agent will do. Tell them what you want to plant and they will tell you what you need to amend the soil with.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

The best way to get a soil sample is with a soil probe. They can be purchased online for about $50. Take 6-10 cores that represent your plot down to 6-7 inches. Mix the soil well in the bucket. Do not sample area that are out of the ordinary- dead tree roots, animal dropings, old roads, etc. If you do not want to buy a soil probe, use a hand trowel to take your samples. If you use a trowel, TRY to get an equal amount of soil from all depths into the bucket. The best soil testwill be done bya lab in your state. They will know what kind of test to run based on the soil normally found in your area. I would tell them the crops you want to grow, and not pay extra for the "wildlife plot" tests. They run the same tests, but just charge you more. Look online for a lab, or ask your county extension.

Quick Reply: soil sample

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.