Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
selecting spots to place corn i need help on this? >

selecting spots to place corn i need help on this?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

selecting spots to place corn i need help on this?

Old 09-15-2002, 10:23 AM

Default selecting spots to place corn i need help on this?

I am just curious about putting corn out???? should i first of all place i near deer areasand let them come to it or should i go to the trails and put itout or just hang back and let thm find it before seaon???? secnd should i put a couple piles out and have one big pile around my stand or just hav one giant pile????????? also should i mix anything with the corn or just leave it plain?????? thanks

Old 09-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: selecting spots to place corn i need help on this?

Just put it in one place and leave it there. At first a new corn pile may spook the deer if they are not used to it being there. I try to keep corn out year round. It doesn't take alot but once the deer find it they will keep coming to that area looking for it.

Do not dump it in one big pile. A 50 pound bag should be spread out in at least a 15 by 15 foot area. The deer will find it in a few days. From there you can adjust how much and how often you put more out. Right now the acorns are dropping here and they have no interest in corn at all.

Shane
Old 09-15-2002, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

like he said dont place t in a big pile it will ruin place it off to the side of a well good trail by youre stand location

100%REDNECK
Old 09-15-2002, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

just what ballistic tip said. But I was reading an article and it said take a can of cooked corn and pour into pile. the smell of it draws them faster. Im gonna try this this yr. I usually pour about 150 pds in an 15 x 15 area, and spread out real good. last year i poured out 150 pds in a new area on a sunday. Went there the next day and it was gone.....
Old 09-15-2002, 10:17 PM

Drew, First of all, where your set the corn out depends on whether or not you'll be hunting the pile. As I get another ethics arguement started here, let me say that I feed in several locations and not all of them are places that I hunt. I use it as a supplement to keep deer around. I hunt funnels and trails sometimes with more success than hunting near or overlooking a feeder. 2nd, Question for you - Are feeders illegal in your area? The reason that I ask is that you can control the way the the feed is dispensed rather than putting 50#'s on the ground at once and having it eaten in a short time. As far as what I feed, I use a mixture of corn and roasted soybeans. It's higher in protein than just corn and better for the deer. You can also mix in peas. My local feed store carries the corn/soybean premixed. Good Hunting!