Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need help selecting first bow >

need help selecting first bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need help selecting first bow

Old 09-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Default need help selecting first bow

what do you guys think of the setup for a beginner? is it worth the price? is it worth getting a package or should i get everything seperate? i no very little so please help thanx

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2008-PSE-Deer-Hunter-Package/deer-hunter-discount-compound-bow-package.htm
Old 09-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need help selecting first bow

PSE bows are very good beginner bows but if i were you i would go out and shoot this bow and see if it feels right that is the only real way to see if it is a "good bow"
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-07-2008, 08:19 PM

Research the forums, talk to your friends, and visit the shops. Just make sure you buy from someone who knows a thing or two.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Check out the Bear Archery "ShowDown" package. I justy bought this at Cabelas last week for $399/package deal. The only thing I didn't like was the stabilizer but they were quick to change it out for me at no extra costs. Finall had a chance to get out and sight it in today and it shoots great. I'm very happy with it. Heres a link for you.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0056968&navCount=1&parentId =cat600266&masterpathid=&navAction=push&am p;cmCat=MainCatcat21424-cat600266&parentType=index&indexId=cat6002 66&rid=
Old 09-08-2008, 09:09 PM

The new bear bows are nice and affordable. I would go with buying a bow by itself. It with cost more but you will get exactly what you want.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

How old are you? if you are a adult then you should buy whatever feels good. Everyone will have their opinions but a good archer can shoot lights out with whatever you put in his hand. (compound bow that is, recurves are a whole other story) If your a youth or a lady, PSE makes a good beginner bow, mathews makes the mustang. My fiance is 5' and 115 pounds, she shoots a browning micro adrenline. it has 50# limbs and really shoots good for a pretty cheap price. If you have never hunted before i would buy a package. that way if you decide you really dont enjoy it that much then you are only out 2 or 3 hundred dollars. If you buy it all seperate and get good equipment it can get expensive. For example, her bow was $249 for the entire package minus the arrows. I have a mathews switchback with a doinker stabilizer, schaffer rest, Trophy ridge sight, epic arrows, and a little goose release and all together it runs about $1100. hope this helps
Old 09-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

shoot as many bows as you can and feel which one feels the best! Go into a local bow shop or even a dicks sporting goods or something and tell them your scenario, how much you want to spend, etc. and they'll hook you up