Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Help with selecting a gun!

Old 12-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Spike

Default Help with selecting a gun!

Haven't hunted in 12 years! I've got the fever to get out hunting again, but my gun collection was sold off years ago when the kids came, short story! Can one hunt upland birds with a 28 gauge OR is it going to limit my success? Was looking at the CZ 16 gauge sxs ringneck, hoping not to have to get a 12 gauge.

When I was a hunter, I mainly did goose, duck, and rabbit. Won't be doing any duck hunting anymore, to wet, don't have a boat anymore, and I'm looking for something different. Really enjoyed the limited pheasant, grouse, and woodcock hunting that I did. I have access to some land that offers that, so I'm looking for the best guns to get em.

Anyways, all I have is a 28 gauge sxs at the moment. Liked that it was so small and easy to carry around, so I bought it. Would consider a sxs or a auto loader that is light...

Oh, I need to another dog too!

Kevin
Old 12-10-2007, 06:33 PM

Default RE: Help with selecting a gun!

Why dont you want a 12?
Old 12-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Spike

I'd take a light 12 gauge. Just would prefer a 16 or 20, if it'll get the job done.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:49 PM

I use a Franchi 20 gauge autoloader with an aluminum receiver. Light,quick,accurate and quick to the draw. I only wish I could hunt more often with it. All depends on where you hunt too. A 12ga would be over kill for me on rabbits,grouse and pheasants
Old 12-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Spike

So, can I get by with a 28g? I've actually eyeballed the Franchi you have more than once. It looks to be a very nice gun.

Kevin
Old 12-11-2007, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

28ga will be fine for grouse and woodcock but a little underpowered for wild pheasants, IMO. Where I hunt, non-toxic shot is required and finding steel shot in 28ga would be hard to find locally. I shoot a 20ga O/U with steel and finding that to be underpowered on pheasants.

Finding the right dog ispersonal preferrence. Pick a breed thats right for the terrain you want in andthe style and manner you hunt then go out and buy something totally different.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:57 AM

A 20 that chambers 3" shells is about the same as a light 12. For the flexibility it gives I would recommend either a pump or auto. As others have said a 28 is a little light for some applications.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:24 PM

I think that you need to take a good look at the Benelli ultra lite m2 it is a 12gauge but man is it lite

For a dog you cant bet a lab!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Fork Horn

kevin I've hunted with a 16 for yrs. I use a old ithaca dbl. I've been looking at the cz's myself lately it depends on the shooting with dogs that point the i/c, mod chokedcz with 28 inch barrels (personal preferance) a mod, full combo would be better for longer work would be fine don't shy from the 16 they are a real pleasure to shoot and will do most everything i've ever run into bird huntin good luck
Old 12-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Fork Horn

for a dog shorthairs are hard to beat

Quick Reply: Help with selecting a gun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.