Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Camp

Old 03-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Deer Camp

ORIGINAL: soarkrebel

My deer hunting life has been kind of a roller coaster. as a kid my grandfather had a big club of about 10,000 acres before leasing was around. it was a good time probably more for the adults of the time.
then in time the club went and just my grandfather and my cousins and i hunted small parcels of ours and others land.

Then my cousin and i started a club that was more of a party club it was fun at the time but it got old.

then myself and a friend started a little lease club and it got more fun because of the camp fire sessions and just friends having a good time.
over time it has grown to 2100 acres and 16 folks . now i actually camp away from the main camp and my 14 yo son has become the best hunting buddy i have ever had. i have begun bringing other young folks into it with my son and i. watching them learn to enjoy hunting and the experiences that go along with it is the greatest i have ever had.
i enjoy my other members but it is more enjoyable to be able to provide a good clean camp for my boy and other young folks . even though we are not a drinking club i still stay away. i keep areas clear of other hunters so that they have great areas to hunt safely.
heck this year one of the only shooter bucks i saw i had my cousins 15 yo with me. he killed his first buck and it was a unforgetable experience to be with him.

clubs are all different i guess and i put one togather that fit what i wanted and enjoy every minute of it.
now i don't really rough it anymore i stay in a 26' slide out camper with city water and electricity. and i have a 3 bdroom trailer with a big addition next to my camper for other friends that come to visit.

One the things i enjoy the most about deer camp is the cooking. i always have a big steak cook night. we cook steaks over a open fire and they always taste better than any you can get in a restaurant.
one other thing i enjoy now over the past is no hang overs in the morning.

I wouldnt trade what i have for anything else i know!

soarkrebel.....will you trade your BONNY BLUE ? Ha! Ha!....I would'nt!!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Hunting club with 75 members, all have travel trailers.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Well I've had a few deer camps over the years but lost the land and had to start over. I really love the camp we have now. There are ten members and 6 of us have campers. I take the whole month of November off each year. The night before a hunt we might play poker and drink a few beers, swap lies, grill out. You know, the usual stuff. After a morning hunt we all gather back up at camp and relive everything we did and saw that morning. After the evening hunt we all head to a little town nearby and eat at a small country restaurant. We love cutting up with the young girls that work there. After our bellies are full we head back to camp still laughing about the jokes we played. I love sitting around the camp on a cool night and watch a full moon through the pines. Nothing but peace and quiet. We haul water in from a church down the road. I go there every Sunday during deer season and since they are on well water they let us get water whenever needed. We have no electricity so I bring batteries. I tried the solar charger thing but it evidently is way too small. I thought I would share an idea that I put to use and it works great for me. Even though I have a shower in my camper it is small and a pain to refill with water. So I built a shower stall that measures about 4x4 with plywood walls and a wood deck floor. I took a 55 gallon drum, lined it with a thick plastic bag and set it up on blocks. Once filled with water I heat it using a fish cooker. The closer it is to the bottom of the barrel, the quicker it gets hot. The bag keeps the water clean and the bag will not melt because of the water. I ran a clear hose from inside the barrel to an RV water pump and then up to a shower head. You need to cut several holes or slits on the end of the hose that is inside the water barrel so that it would suck onto the bag and stop the water flow. I also bought a solar powered, motion activated security light from Home Depot for about 70 dollars. It work great in the middle of the night when you have to take a leak.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Spike

We hunt at my parents property in Parry Sound with 7 guys. We've gone from a cabin with a generator, to a cinderblock garage/workshop, again with a generator, finally to a 26' trailer that's plugged in to the families house. We've gone from unit 49 to 47, and from 340 acres to 100 acres. Deer camp is still why I drag my lazy butt to work day in and day out.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:08 AM

my family has a place in vermont 2000 acers we can hunt on with 2 cabins it iss more like a house 15 beds 2 t.v.s a tolit and a microwave
Old 03-27-2005, 01:17 PM

Never been, when I was a kid we hunted out back. Now I drive about 5 miles,but on the opener of gun we all start out at Mom & Dad's house for coffee. After the morning hunt Mom always has breakfest ready and something for lunch like bean soup or chili. It's been that way for more than 30 years and I wouldn't change it for nothing.