Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DEER CAMP?

Old 06-17-2003, 01:56 PM

Default DEER CAMP?

Me and some friends are looking to build a deer camp on our hunting lease but there is no power anywhere in the area. We don' t want to put out the extra money and buy a generator but I have heard the idea of using some solar panels along with 2 deep cell batteries and some other accessories. Can anyone give me some feedback or information on this setup. Does anyone use it? If not what other methods of generating electricity are ther? Any opions or experiencs are greatly needed and appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:02 PM

Default RE: DEER CAMP?

You wouldn' t have a major river anywhere you could dam, would you? [:-]
Old 06-17-2003, 02:20 PM

FL/GA HUNTER,
No, I wish we would have one. There is nothing remotely around us. They have a few other home made camps but no natural energy resources other than sunlight. I went on ebay and saw some panels and other setups that people are trying to sell. These items are giving me some idea of if I want to proceed in the solar power direction and what items I might need. I really need someones past or present experiences with this idea. Thanks for your reply.

LAHUNTER.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:32 PM

Sorry for being such a smart-aleck with the first post. There was an article, I believe in Field & Stream, about 4-5 years ago. It was a full description of what it took for this man to live as a hermit in the wilderness, and had a pretty detailed account of how he made the solar power work for him. When I go home tonight, I' ll see if I can find the article I mean. Good luck with everything.

***anybody know the article I' m talking about? The man worked for 15 years or something, then moved to a cabin near Salmon, Idaho. Ring any bells?
Old 06-17-2003, 02:50 PM

I guess I really have to ask why you want electricity to begin with? Its a hunting camp!!! Lanterns, wood stove or propane heater, to me if I' m there to hunt this would put the icing on the cake. Unless you have plans to stay for many weeks at a time. Just my opinon
Old 06-17-2003, 03:26 PM

FL/GA HUNTER,
Dont worry I didn' t take your response to be a smart-aleck remark. I know you were just trying to find out more details about my situation. Thanks.

paul w,
I would like some conveniences of civilization. I am a hunter, but a modernized hunter. I won' t " ruff" it unless I have to, and hopefully I won' t have to. I would like some electricity to power a light bulb, and a window unit, and maybe something else. It gets really hot during bow season in Louisiana, and I don' t handle the cold really well wither. Yes, call me a wuss, but call me a cool/warm wuss.

I have just started my research on this subject but i did find a really helpful website if anyone one else is interested.

http://www.rain.org/~philfear/how2solar.html
Old 06-17-2003, 06:26 PM

We have 2 different power set-ups in our hunt cabin. 120v that we use a portable generator to run and we also have a 12v set-up that runs off car or marine batteries. Deer camp we use the car-batteries exclusively to run 2-15 watt lights. Summer when the families are up we use the genny for lights, a small fridge, coffee maker etc.. the batteries are much more peaceful!!
Old 06-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend that has a hunting camp in Maine and he uses gas instead of electricity. All lights, kitchen appliances, heater runs off gas (propane, I think) because there is no power lines that are run down into his camp which is over a mile from the tar road. It is very efficient and most folks don' t realize it until they' re told that there is no electricity whatsoever.....It may be worth checking into. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2003, 02:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]