Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Your Deer Camp

Old 07-26-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Your Deer Camp

This blast of cool weather we justreceved has realy got me in the mood for fall. I saw on the bowhunting form a post describing everyones deer camps, I read a few but there were way to many to enjoy it, so I figured I would do the samething on here.

The first season my state has is bow, I hunt most of this season close to my house, about 2 miles away. I have a stand set up there and there is a creek I walk some times. It is ither city or CFR land. There are Oaks and lots of under brush. It is one of the hilliest places in my area. Not many deer but ya have a good chance of seeing a big buck. I have 2 other standes, 1 I share with a freind, it is at my rifal camp, about 40 mins from home. Another I share with my dad, 15 min from home.

For rifle season my family has a small camp that sits on .000000012 acares. We all hunt state of CFR land (MEAD for the most part). I have 1 blind set up there but most of the time I hunt right behind camp on some guys 120. Ther is a swamp that runs right threw it, a monster buck lives there but I am alwees 2 steps behind him. I hope he made it threw the winter. We get a big turn out for the opener of rifle season 13 to 15 guys, 5 or 6 I would say hunt. By the second week it is vary lonley up there 1 or 2 guys max, and because my Thanksgiving break lands on these days so I am there alot. If I get a deer I will hunt with my bow the rest of the sewason, but that dosent happen offten.

As for late season bow and muzzle loader I hunt south of my home, we get way to much snow and the deer move to the yards. I dont get out to much (late grouse season get in the way) this time of year, but it is a great time to be in the woods.

Ya that got me excited.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Your Deer Camp

For Bow Hunting that starts the end of August I mostly hunt some private land (approx 4 quarters) that borders up to Crown (government land) on 3 sides. Last year I messed up on a rather large buck in the 180 class and took a 125 there in stead........ slap, slap,slap! I feel better now.
Then on Sept 17 th or a week sooner usually finds me in Elk camp for 10 days in the Rocky Mountians of Alberta and as I will have a mitt full of tags I am also looking for Mulies and Whities along with bear and sometimes moose (pending on the draws for moose). I shot a white wolf there 3 years ago.
The rut in late November will find me in a bush camp looking for deer and Moose/Elk for another 10 days or so and the rest of the time will see me on some private land (like that above) that only I have permission on.
Last year was great because last year we got drawn for Camp Wainwright Deer (an army base) that has a special 3 day hunt in Dec that allows an additional 2 deer either species.
After all this is done it normally takes me about 3 weeks to shop for that special Xmas gift for my loving wife that ensures that can repeat it next year.

Eric
Old 07-27-2005, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well a lot of my deer season is spent hunting right out of my house on 5 different plots of private land, all within about 50 mile. I also own 80 acres and a cabin and have access to another 3600 acres that is about 100 mile from my house. My fiend took a real decent buck with hisbowlast year on my land and saw about 60deer in four days. I saw 4. Go figure.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:34 PM

Gel sounds like ya have one hell of a fall, mine is not that spectacular but still great, Canada is a great place, I live about 3 hours from Ontario. Ya guys are lucky ya have all that land to hunt, I dont have it that bad lots of public land to go around. The only time I see many peple is the first week of rifle season, I wear lots of orange that week. BobCo do what kind of land is it, farm or woods. I have hunted farm land 2 times, 60 deer the first night and 30 the second, not one buck. Last year I say 6 deer all rifle season 2 were bucks, didnt shoot, to small.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:30 AM
Fork Horn

avoid the "predominatly" camp Bi tch if you play your cards right right this can all but be avoided.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

BobCo do what kind of land is it, farm or woods.
My land with the cabin is 100% wooded. There is a mixture of konifers (spruce, jack pine, larch,white pine) and hard wood (maple, oak, birch, cherry, apple). My preference for hunting is the pines. I also have a 3/4 acre pond nestled in the middle (I'm still trying to get the weeds out though).
Old 07-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Yes Gus I normally have a GREAT fall and have been taking my daughters out a few times everyfall since they could walk (they are now 9 and 6). I can't wait to take my daughters into hunting camp.
I just got word that ALL of my fall hunting is not going to take place this year....... after 16 yrs with an Alberta Agency I will be joining the Mounties and should be in training for 6 months come October.
Short term pain for long term gain, hey!
Good luck to all of you this fall.

Eric[&:]
Old 07-28-2005, 06:17 PM

gelarson congrats, sounds like a sweet job. Were do the Mounties do most of there work, are ya in the cities, or the back woods.

BobC love the pines to, see the most animals there.

I was the camp Bitch for a few years then I went and shot the biggest deer and I aint no bitch anymore.

Old 07-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

My camp is right on the highway, under the Holiday Inn sign.[8D]
Old 07-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Ya the job is a good one, The RCMP police most of western Canada and the Maritimes (East coast) and can be posted in anything from a city of hundreds of thousands to a village of a hundred or less.

Arthur do they mind you making a camp fire under the Holiday inn sign? How would you drive the pegs in for the tent through the concrete? Just trying to expand my knowledge to become more worldly......!

Quick Reply: Your Deer Camp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.