Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Everywhere!!!

Old 03-24-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Deer Everywhere!!!

I'm a farmer in Indiana and I was given a temporary permit to shoot deer because they're eating up one of my hay fields very badly. This morning I went out to the field at 5:30 a.m. and saw 18 in a matter of fifteen minutes. My permit allows me to kill as many as 10 deer. What is the best way to bag as many as possible on the first day? Do I wait for them to all get on the field at the same time and then blast as many as possible, or do I pick off the first one that comes out and hope that the others in the back don't heed the warning. I'd appreciate any comments you have. Thanks!!!
Old 03-24-2005, 02:44 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Deer Everywhere!!!

Head shots bud. And singles away from the group on the edge of the field and that still don't guarantee you that all won't bolt. If you hit em and they run, they will all run. Since you can't do it like the professional groups with silencers and at night, you might have count on getting one here and there for a while. Problem with head shots is you have a good chance of missing unless they are close. And injurying one really isn't a great option either. So I take back my head shot statement.

I have talked to some groups that do it contracted by communities, and they say they get head shots, and the deer drop instantely, and don't spook the others as much.

Sounds like you will be eating well this year.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:34 PM

The first thing you want to do while TROLLING is loosing your drag up...
Old 03-24-2005, 04:11 PM

what does trolling have to do with deer hunting?

but anyways to answer your question rympierce, if you can get fairly close without them noticing, than i would just take them out one by one, until they run. and if you only get one that day, than go out the next. one question, what are you going to do with that much meat?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:21 PM

I'm gonna take a couple of the deer myself and my dad has a few friends who I'm sure will take a couple. After that I'm not real sure, but I'm betting I'll be able to find someone who's willing to take them.
Nontypical Buck

You need to be very careful of people trolling. Get it now?
Nontypical Buck

saying "trolling" is pocomoke thinking this is actually an anti-hunter wanting to cause trouble. does seem a little weird. I hope that is not the case. What kind of hay you got planted this time of year?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:23 PM

It was a fall seeding of straight alfalfa that is just starting to get green, so the deer are just feasting.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good one Pocomoke.

Young Gun, I do believe that was a reference to the unusual nature of this question. Wouldn't be my first question I would ever ask on a board I just signed up too.

Rympierce, In order to answer the question better, it would be helpful to know what kind of gun you are using, how many deer you shoot a year, etc?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:24 PM

I'm not trying to cause trouble at all, they've already caused over 10% crop damage and if any of you know how expensive alfala seed is, you feel my pain. I just need to get rid of them as fast as possible

Quick Reply: Deer Everywhere!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.