Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New Hunt Club - how much, rules?? help! >

New Hunt Club - how much, rules?? help!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunt Club - how much, rules?? help!

Old 08-28-2002, 11:42 AM

Default New Hunt Club - how much, rules?? help!

We are in central Arkansas and have a chance to lease 500 acres of rolling country. How much should we pay for an annual lease? What are typical duties of club members -- do we pay dues, do we need work days, and if so, how much time should each hunter put in to cut firewood, etc? What happens if a club member doesn't pull their own weight? If we want to only shoot big bucks and someone shoots a small one, what kind of penalty would apply -- a fine?? What are some of your rules that really help, and what are some of the problems that we might run in to (and how do we make sure we don't do the same things)? Thanks for all the input. Reddneckk in the Ozarks!
Old 08-28-2002, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Hunt Club - how much, rules?? help!

500 acres is not alot of land for a hunt club. My club has 46 members and 5k acres. Dues are needed to keep the lease on the property, for a lodge, QDM, etc. You definitly need the right people, as work days are needed to maintain stands, clear growth, etc. Good Luck! Definitly fun times with everyone around the clubhouse
Old 08-28-2002, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

I have been in a few clubs.Some had so many rules you were affraid of braking one every time you set foot on it ,others had no rules.If you have the right bunch of guys or gals there should be no problems.Most of the time there will be one or two that will push the edge of the rules or not pull their share on a work day.Here are a few rules we had over the years.If you dont make it to the work days and get your time in you dont hunt the first week or the first 10 days of Deer season.Another club said you had to get 20 hours of work in or you paid $5 a hour for ever hour you missed.It seems like 10% of the members do 90% of the work.I have had guys that didnt show up till opening morning and always had an excuse for not making to a work day but they always wanted to hunt out of my stands since I had put so much time and money into my areas.Thats not right.One of the best things I can tell you is that if you have a problem member ,Deal with him right then and dont let it keep going on and on.It can and will turn into a bigger problem down the road.Hope this helps.

Edited by - ret3006 on 08/28/2002 17:12:11
Old 08-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

I BELONG TO A HUNT CLUB THAT CONSISTS OF 12 HUNTERS ON A 800 ACRE TRACT, I THINK THE TOTAL FOR THE LAND EACH YEAR IS ABOUT 3000.00 WHICH WHEN U DIVIDE UP COMES TO ABOUT 300.00 A YEAR. EVERYBODY PAYS AND THATS IT WE ISSUE CLUB MEMBER CARDS JUST INCASE YOUR STOPPED BY THE MAN. WHAT WE USUALLY DO IF THERES SOMETHING WE HAVE TO DO LIKE POST,CLEAR,ETC. WE GET TOGETHER AND WE ALL PARTICIPATE AND WORK TOGETHER.THATS ABOUT AS MUCH OF THE OTHER HUNTERS YOULL SEE. YOULL HARDLY EVER SEE ANYONE AGAIN. EVERYONE KNOWS WHERE EVERYONES HUNTING AND THE AREA AND WE WORK TOGETHER. WHEN U START HAVING ALL THESE RULES ITS NOT FUN. WE HAVE A COUPLE RULES BUT NOTHING MAJOR. WE ASK THAT U PICK UP TRASH,AND TREAT IT LIKE IT WAS YOURS. WE ALL MEET OR RIDE THE PROPERTY TO SEE IF SOMEONE IS IN NEED OF HELP, AND WE HAVE ALOT OF FUN. THATS WHAT ITS SUPPOSE TO BE RIGHT
Old 08-28-2002, 08:03 PM

What are these hunt clubs? Are they rod and gun clubs? Are they just a couple of guys going in on a lease? Do you guys lease the land or did you buy it? The way you guys are talking it sounds like you own the land. Since you are clearing areas which is not allowed on leased property. How can you afford to buy 800 acres? Around here 800 acres will sell for at least 1 million, depending on the timber. Near buy 800 acres just went for 5.2 million.

Eddie
Old 08-28-2002, 09:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Land will usually run about $5 to $6 per acre so about $3000. I would have no more than 5 members in the club. It is easier to manage with the fewer members. Depending on the contiguous lands around your 500 acres and the way they are managed will be the determining factor as far as herd management rules. Keep the rules simple as possible and if a member doesn't pull his weight let it be known that their membership may not be available next year. One rule we have that we all like is that everyone has 3 guest days, and you use them as you wish, no more.

Old 08-28-2002, 11:12 PM

reddneckk i run one in ouachita county ark.
we have 2000 acres and 15 members.
i started it and everybody looks to me to make rules.
rule number 1 respect other members. a club should be a group of friends who enjoy being togather and having good times. if you have a trouble maker get rid of them.
and then it's common sense to know to obey game laws.
QDM well i leave it up to the hunter. but i remind them if you kill it this year he won't be bigger next . and i have one on my wall and a video of him a year before to prove what a year will do.
i am just starting to consider work days . if you don't tell them what to do they start expecting you to do everything.
i guess my favorite part of starting a club is that i am the king. it's a lot better if the lease's are in your name. you can get rid of the trouble makers. just don't ask for there dues!
i pay an avg. of $3 @ acre. some as little as $2. as high as 3.65.
it depends the tract and who handles it or owns it. i like the lease's i have from owners instead of timber companys. they tend to be cheaper.
where are you looking at starting a club? There was about 600 acres in my area not leased that i didnt get . it may still be available.

EDDIEE you guys don't have deer camps in PA?
We have to lease around here. i couldnt afford to buy the land.
and some timber companys let me clear for food plots ,roads and to have places to even see in some these thickets. i know of several camps that have dozers come in every year and clear. they pay extra to do this. we don't destroy that many trees. skidders damage more than we do.
and some camps have been around so long that the lessors let them do what they want. my lessors let me cut firewood on mine as long as it is down or dead. and i can even sell it. i have there permission. i am cleaning up there land in a sense.it's going to rot if i dont use it.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 08-29-2002, 06:26 AM

Thanks for all the input on setting up a hunt club. Lots of good ideas already. The property is west of Little Rock about an hour and the guy wants $4 per acre. Really, thanks for your ideas, and I'll keep looking for even more. Oh, there is a small cabin we can use, does that do anything to the price? The owner said we could trim branches, etc, but no major clearing. There are a few spots we can put some food plots, too. I think that's about it -- I really like the idea of the fewer rules the better - you're right, we want to enjoy the outdoors, not think like a lawyer. And the rule to not let the guys who don't put in work hours not hunt the first week is sounds good to me, as well as putting a little money penalty to motivate people to show up for work days. Besides, isn't that a big part of hunting -- the planning and preparation for the hunt? I just like being out with buddies, and most of them are great, it's just the one or two that cause problems now and then. So all this is just to keep those one or two guys in line so they don't spoil it for the rest of it. And yes, if they still try to dodge the rules and intent of the club, well, maybe they need to hunt somewhere else. Hey --thanks for all the ideas, and that's after just one day from posting my question -- great forum!!
Old 09-05-2002, 12:12 AM

I have co-owned two camps and now have one of my own.
In 40+ years the main problems have been whiskey drinkers, gambling for big money and non-workers.
I drink my share of beer by the keg, and love Canadian with a steak, but the hard stuff and a camp full of weapon toting, testosterone filled, pecking order types is a bad mix waiting to explode.
Dang are these folks my Buds <
The big money poker games always seemed to get someone loosing that could ill afford the loss. This brings up loans not paid, wifes or girl-friends angry, or members not able to pay their share of camp costs until later; p.s. get their camp expenses a.s.a.p. upon arrival.
The non-workers will rarely, if ever work.
Our solutions: No liquor in camp. Limit poker stakes. Non-workers pay the costs of work days.