Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Pope & Young club fair chase rules >

Pope & Young club fair chase rules

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pope & Young club fair chase rules

Old 01-08-2003, 01:59 PM

Default Pope & Young club fair chase rules

Many people seem to think of P&Y as The Authority on fair chase and ethics.

FYI as long as it is legal in your state, they will accept deer taken...

OVER BAIT
PUSHED DURING A DRIVE
CHASED BY DOGS

At least they do draw the line at hunting behind a high fence.

Ethical? You tell me.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pope & Young club fair chase rules

OVER BAIT....go for it, doesn't make a hoot of difference in my woods if you bait or not. I used to but never saw a mature buck over the bait. Also there are plenty of farm fields and timber loaded with acorns. Doesn't increase the odds IMO.

PUSHED DURING A DRIVE...go for it...I would think it much easier to shoot an unsuspecting monster buck from 20 feet high than a wired to the gourd deer on full alert on a full run or possibly, but highly unlikely, stopped at your effective bow range while checking it's back for it's pursuers. Definitely doesn't increase the odds for a bowhunter IMO.

CHASED BY DOGS...go for it...I can't begin to tell you how many times frickin' ferral dogs have chased deer by my stand, including some really nice bucks. Talk about a deer running for it's life...there just ain't no stoppin' them when a herd of canines are hooping and hollering and snipping at their haunches. If a fella can stick an arrow through both lungs in a situation like this then more power to 'em. Absolutely, positively, does not increase the odds for a bowhunter.

...given those situations I would say the deer are given more than a "fair" chase. I for one practice none of the aforementioned methods and I think you would find that most, if not all hunters that consistently harvest PY bucks, don't either.

Now if you would change the P&Y to B&C then I would say that they (with the exception of baiting) would all be considered borderline NOT fair chase. I think any "hunter" that sets out to kill a particular monster buck using these methods (Milo Hansen) is a punk and a whore.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pope & Young club fair chase rules

Natto,

You have obviously not read Dave Holts section dealing directly with Fairchase.

Also have you ever experienced any of these 3?

Have you hunted over/near a farmers field? How about near or around acorn trees? Or any of the other many food sources the critters use?

I have never hunted deer with dogs or bears/cougars for that matter. In the latter two I can see an acceptance to using them, for deer its not for me.'

And A Drive? Get real, they have been around forever! Even just having someone stillhunt through a possible bedding area while another hunter sits on a major/escape travel route.

Read the P&Y book before you go hammering them! They are a private club. If you want to join, then obide by there rules. And just one last tid bit. THere have been many groups after the group started its existance in 1975, many of whom have done great things, but none have equaled what this group has stood for and continually do so. I do no have any of my game animals in "the book" as its not for me, but what the group stands for and will continue to do so for some time to come is what we all should be backing! Unfortunatly many of us dont and its these who will be our demise!