Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To all PA hunters about AR's

Old 12-06-2004, 08:31 AM

Default To all PA hunters about AR's

Do you PA hunters think the AR's are working? I have found 3 dead bucks this year that have less than 4 points on one side ( I hunt in Erie County ). Also what do you think about the WMU's. I know about 10 people who lost out on doe liceneses when one WMU had 60,000 left?

Tim
Old 12-06-2004, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: To all PA hunters about AR's

AR's are working, just like anything else, they'd work better if people followed the rules. [:@]

As far as folks losing out in some areas, but others having tags left, that's the way it is. Some places have far more deer than others. The WMU that sold out probably has many hunters, as well as accessable land. The WMU with leftovers is probably 2B, where there are lots of deer but only a few hunter accessable places to hunt them.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you mean about the dead buck. I hunt in Butler County and so far i've found a dead 5pnt (3x2) and a small 4pnt (2x2). I think the ARs are a good idea, we just need more people to follow the rules and they need stricter punishment for those who don't. As far as they WMU, i think they should go back to allocating tags by county.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

AR is great ,SLOB hunters will be it's downfall ...[:@]
Old 12-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

I think the AR's are working, this year ive seen more racked bucks (8 point or better) than ever before.
I do think that the WMU's are to big and they should go back to the county issued doe licenses.
I hunt in 3C (Bradford county) and I think the buck to doe ratio is doing good, Im seeing less deer, but of these less deer I am seeing alot more buck.

I also wouldnt mind if they jumped up the 3 point rule to a 4 point rule.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Spike

My family lives in Elk co. and we all hunt the Allegheny Nat'l. forest. Found 2 dead bucks this year,
both below the 3 pt. restriction, both taken with neck shots and then left to rot. Two less bucks for
someone else next year, one of the bucks was less than 30 yards from the road!!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only hunt PA one week a year and in Potter Co, (2G). AR are working we are seeing more bucks, 3 of us go for opening of bow season and last two years we have taken nice 8 ptrs.

I think the hunting culture in PA is partly to blame, from what I understand driving deer is a big popular way to hunt, this results in shooting at moving deer when there isn't alot of time to size up antlers. This will result in some bucks not big enough getting shot.

I had a 4 pt under my stand that was with the 8 pt I shot. The 4 pt was bigger, both in body and rack, he just didn't have brow tines. I couldn't believe he didn't have them, but he was standing right under me so I could see clearly. He also went past a friend of mine and he coudn't believe it either. I bet this buck stands a good chance of getting shot, from a distance he WILL look like a 6 pt.

They are shooting to many does. Time to cut back on that.

--Bob
Old 12-08-2004, 07:43 AM

Like i said earlier, i think the AR's are working in some places. in erie count (1B) i have seen a max of maybe 4 mounter bucks in rifle season. Alot of big does but not alot of deer all together. I think they might kill too many does and mess up the buck to doe ratio more but for now i believe it is where we want it to be. I cant wait till next year. I think that will be the best year for big 8 points. Alot of the 8 pts ive seen this year have 14-16 inch spread. I hope next year we get more deer and bigger bucks.

Tim
Old 12-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

you guys need to get over to the NE forum and chat with some of those guys. they need some reassurring. they all seem to think the deer are all gone and the AR and ALT system stinks. (i know some have been there)