Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting. >

Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting.

Old 12-03-2004, 12:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting.

Hold it, Hold it, Hold it. I feel like the referee in that Miller Light commercial. "Personal foul on Hector for the beer and I need to inspect his girlfriend for further review." Guys are you stupid? If I'm hunting lion I want to be guided. Guides aren't there to just let you kickback and walk up for an easy shot. This PH saved his client's life. There's nothing wrong with this video and it just shows how dangerous game is why they're called friggin dangerous. I bet if they had video back in the day of Teddy Roosevelt, Jack O'Connor, Karamojo Bell, and all the other great outdoor writers of England and the U.S.A. there would be some of you also calling these founders of our sport Yahoos and putting them down for the exact same thing shown on this video. Haven't any of you read how many men are killed hunting for lions and elephants? This is NOT fuel for the anit's. Give me a physical break. They're not clubbing baby seals. Do you tow the line in defense of all hunting (especially eye to eye with a lion at 40 mph) or are you wimps? I hunt whitetails from an elevated stand overlooking crops or corn feeders in the mesquite flats. No one thinks twice and good for me. If hunting lion on the ground without bait and then getting knocked to his ass and rising to his feet for the finishing shot gets him called for hunting unethically then I am more unethical in my pursuit don't you think? All this video really proves is that a wounded maneating beast charging you at 40 mph can make you miss shots with all the adrenaline and you're mighty thankful for the invention of the 5 round clip and whiskey.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:22 AM

David,

Especially, with you being on a deerhunting thread.
That's odd, I thought this was a lion hunting thread. It might be posted on a deerhunting forum, but it IS a lion hunting thread.

BTW, I've seen all manner of stuff on here that didn't pertain to deer hunting.

EKM
Old 12-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Fork Horn

Just curious elkampnmaster. What didn't you agree with on the video? My only beef was the client used a scoped pencil barreled rifle which makes me think it's under .338. PH used a heavy barrel iron sighted safari gun as he should have insisted the client do the same. Also the client didn't immediately follow up when he had the chance.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:46 AM

Sooner,

Any of my comments that follow needs to be tempered by the fact I wasn't there and I don't know the details of the WHOLE story. Some of the things that appeared to have happened may have made more sense if we knew more than what the clip shows....

That said, first the client made his first shot as the lion appeared to be turning away. Second....

".... the client didn't immediately follow up when he had the chance.
That appears to be the greatest sin committed as far as I could tell. The client appeared to shoot once, knocked the lion down and then "stood by" admiring his handiwork as the lion got back up, instead of pumping lead until the lion was down and out. Barring a weapon malfunction, he had plenty of time for the follow up shot(s) and they should have been automatic IMO. Then again, many hunters may vary in the "quality" of their performance when they find themselves face to face with game that can and will "hunt back" like the "simba" in the video footage here.

Wasn't it interesting that out of that crowd of people, the lion knew which one was actively hunting him, and which one "hit" him, and that is the one he went straight for with those 20 foot bounds and that coughing grunt/growl as he closed the distance waaaay fast. Makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Todo.

EKM
Old 12-03-2004, 03:33 PM

JimboHunter1 said
“….there are thousands of other places in the world where "other" animals need to be controlled in some way or another….” and he is right....

Just to follow up on that, especially since the realities of the topic appear to be so foriegn to so many, an article from our good friends at Sports Afield, the "Reports Afield" section --- November 2004 Issue p.15
=================

"MAN EATERS

Lions Kill Thirty-Five People In Tanzania

Lions killed and ate thirty-five people between August 2002 and April 2004 near Dar es Salaam, the capital of Tanzania. According to a study by Dr. Rolf Baldus, director of the GTZ Wildlife Program in Tanzania, the lions typically attacked by forcing their way through the wall of a hut or jumping on and through its roof.

The lions have killed even more people than did the infamous Tsavo man-eaters, which killed twenty-eight construction workers along the Uganda Railway in 1899-99. Tanzania has Africa's largest lion population and has a history of man-eaters."

=================

I don't think we're in Mayberry (RFD) here. Not in the foothills bike paths of Los Angeles either (mountain lion attacks). Scratch North America for that matter! But apparently "just another day" in the bush of Tanzania....

32 victims in 20 months! Even verified by a Ph D so that makes it official. Could you imagine what would happen if wildlife killed 32 people in the countryside just outside of our capital, Washington D.C. --- I do believe we'd be sic'ing the Dep't of Homeland Defense on it. Communities would be frozen in fear, unable to function --- not unlike what we saw with the "D.C. snipers, Malvo & crew" a while back.

Hmmm.... If it's like that just trying to get a night's sleep in one's own "home" in Tanzania then I wonder what it would be like trying to get some good sleep during the night after a day of safari hunting? Don't think I'd be feeling the same way about the "ole wall tents" as I do when I'm in Elk Camp where my prey has no choice but to flee.

Anyone "game" for renting the "Ghost In The Darkness" video tonight for a little inspiration?

EKM
Old 12-03-2004, 07:00 PM

32 victims in 20 months! Even verified by a Ph D so that makes it official. Could you imagine what would happen if wildlife killed 32 people in the countryside just outside of our capital, Washington D.C. --- I do believe we'd be sic'ing the Dep't of Homeland Defense on it. Communities would be frozen in fear, unable to function --- not unlike what we saw with the "D.C. snipers, Malvo & crew" a while back.
This is a very true statement, Don. It puts a whole, new perspective on things doesn't it? Look at what the U.S. media did to condem the SUV market a year or two before 9-11 (when they didn't have anything to report upon) because of a handful of tire blow-outs and rollovers! Could you just imagine what kind of a hayday the media would have had if there were 32 lion killings in 20 months? Oh... wait a minute. The solution to this problem may involve lion killing or hunting... Maybe we wouldn't even have heard anything about it if it happened in our backyard! []
Old 12-03-2004, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: soonershooter

Hold it, Hold it, Hold it. I feel like the referee in that Miller Light commercial. "Personal foul on Hector for the beer and I need to inspect his girlfriend for further review." Guys are you stupid? If I'm hunting lion I want to be guided. Guides aren't there to just let you kickback and walk up for an easy shot. This PH saved his client's life. There's nothing wrong with this video and it just shows how dangerous game is why they're called friggin dangerous. I bet if they had video back in the day of Teddy Roosevelt, Jack O'Connor, Karamojo Bell, and all the other great outdoor writers of England and the U.S.A. there would be some of you also calling these founders of our sport Yahoos and putting them down for the exact same thing shown on this video. Haven't any of you read how many men are killed hunting for lions and elephants? This is NOT fuel for the anit's. Give me a physical break. They're not clubbing baby seals. Do you tow the line in defense of all hunting (especially eye to eye with a lion at 40 mph) or are you wimps? I hunt whitetails from an elevated stand overlooking crops or corn feeders in the mesquite flats. No one thinks twice and good for me. If hunting lion on the ground without bait and then getting knocked to his ass and rising to his feet for the finishing shot gets him called for hunting unethically then I am more unethical in my pursuit don't you think? All this video really proves is that a wounded maneating beast charging you at 40 mph can make you miss shots with all the adrenaline and you're mighty thankful for the invention of the 5 round clip and whiskey.
Well, I was going to get back on here and defend my statement but you did it much better then I could. I got tears in my eyes from laughing! Well said sooner, although I think Auburn should play USC for the national title.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:36 PM

Muley, I'd like to commend you on your elnightening post. The link to Teddy Roosevelt and others is a good relation... What do the rest of you think?
I love a good debate...
Old 12-03-2004, 11:51 PM

agree with the first part of your statement. Who are we to judge what justifies real hunting? However, it mighty ballsy for you to belittle all of those on this site who thoroughly enjoys whitetail hunting. Imagine a first time hunter reading this thread to the surprise that someone thinks he's/she's an idiot for their marginal, if any, success. I hope that your view of whitetail hunting changes. Especially, with you being on a deerhunting thread.
This thread is actually about a lion hunt. Look I hunt whitetails occassionally too, that doesn't mean I consider it a great challege. Frankly, whitetails are the easiest big game animal there is to hunt. I never said anyone who kills a whitetail is an idiot, I said any idiot could do it. I'm belittleing nobody, whitetails are simply not much of a challege. I just find it ironic that a bunch of deer hunters start to question somebody hunting a lion. For God sakes the man was attacked! I wish I could have been there. Deer hunters critcize this, when some of them hunt over feeders, bait, and use those gimpy little "cams" to scout with? I think there arre a lot better examples of questionable hunting right here in this forum.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I retract my statement about this being a great video! I watched it over and over and I counted at least 9 - 10 shots fired at a pretty close distance. I find it actually sad. This guy probably spent thousands of dollars to hunt this lion and is unprepared to do the job and do it correct. Yes being charged is part of the hunt, be prepared! Plus I don't think we see the whole video I believe there is a bit of editing, hard to tell though because of the WMV player skipping around. But I wasn't there so I don't know the whole story but from what I seen I did'nt care for.
Thanks for answering my question, now I know the reasons for lion hunting, thanks!

I never said anyone who kills a whitetail is an idiot, I said any idiot could do it. I'm belittleing nobody, whitetails are simply not much of a challege.
???????????????

How many Whitetail deer have you harvested??

Quick Reply: Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.