Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting. >

Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting.

Old 12-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting.

They are BAD shots.
Almost big cat sh_t.
They were luckey that they did not shoot each other.
IMO not a very sporting way to hunt.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:27 PM

i just read the first page of opinions and i think you're all a bunch of MORONS. I've read alot of stuff on Africa-Robert Ruark, Peter Capstick, Deaf Banks, all of the classics. And I have the utmost respect for those guys. its my dream someday to kill a lion. you guys have no idea what you're talking about. Saying they should use more gun or how can they miss at 5 feet, you should seriously just shut up. that thing is trying to kill you. the adrenaline is flowing. you dont have much time to get down on that cat and stick him before he starts gnawing on your arm. why would anyone want to kill them you ask? Because of the rush. thats the whole reason we hunt. its the rush of the kill. its just with these things, theres more adrenaline in it. its not like they're endangered and theres 5 or 6 of them left. theres tens of thousands of them. by hunting them, you support the local populations who would otherwise resort to poaching them.

Sure, the client messed up. but i think you guys probably couldnt do a whole lot better given the situation. i bought a movie of a guy in africa that taped his clients. cape buffalo charging, lions charging, shooting leopards, its the real deal.

bobby-how can you judge the hunting by what they wear? thats the garb in africa buddy, kahkis and shooting glasses and bush shorts.

i think the client was using enough gun. that is, unless the PH was a complete moron and let him use something under a .338. by the looks of it, it is enough. looks like a .375 maybe? And somebody asked why they have to be guided. Well, lets set you down in the middle of alaska and tell you to go kill a bear. kinda hard right? well, the guide gets you on the animals, gives you food and shelter, takes care of the carcasses, etc..plus its required by law in those countries.

Unprepared BHF? I would like you to remain calm and try hitting a lion running at 35 MPH right at you knowing thats it going to eat you if it gets you. hit it with every shot. bet you couldnt do it. that guy has balls just for going over there and trying to stick it again and again. the PH has balls because he's gotta back his client up whether the cat is dead on its feet or if its gut shot. obviously you guys are commenting on stuff you've never done or read anything serious about. I guess i can see where somebody that has never read about the subject could be turned off by that video. sure, it was dangerous shooting around people. but having a wounded lion around people isn't very safe either is it?

john, it may be unsporting in your eyes, but in others, its thrill. its like the rush when you have a deer at full draw but you have to wait to shoot. your heart is in your throat and the feeling is great. this is like that on a larger scale. you know that if you dont kill that lion or cape buffalo or elephant that you're dead. we can't knock some other type of hunting just because we dont like it. i guess i can't explain as good as i wish i could. go read some Peter Capstick. he gives his reasons for hunting dangerous game in his books.

slayer
Old 12-23-2004, 09:41 PM

johnch, how well do you think you would shoot if you had a full grown wounded male african lion charging you. true the one guy did not follow up his first shot to put it down
but the men with him were there for that exact reason, that is why they are profesional hunters they get paid good money to keep their clients safe.

as for needing more gun try guessing the guage of the ph's rifles, i think its enough to stop a lion. &@!! they stop buffalo. im sorry that you think that people that pay to hunt are unsafe, computer geeks, that have nothing else to do but screw around, and try to get them selfs killed with stupid actions, but no do you think that is how hunting realy is why dont you go and bow hunt a cape buffalo. its harder than you think.

try it, tell us all the story if you can make the kill you want to now whats hard this is a pic of my uncle Dave

Old 12-23-2004, 09:42 PM

if you dont belive me look up bison on google
Old 12-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is crazzy!!!! I think that I will make that same note.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:46 AM

The first time I saw this video on big-boys.com it was lambasted by a hundred expletive throwing liberal bunny huggers. When I started reading this thread I started wondering if it were the same people.

While I have not been to Africa (YET), I am obsessed with it's game and oppurtunities. I have read countless books and articles on African hunting from the 19th century to current 21st century. I talk to everyone I can that has actual experience from there. So I think I understand this video a little better.

Deerslayer: I have to agree with you and would like to add a few things. People have criticized the size of the hunting party. What I see is a client, possibly another client, the Professional Hunter, the PH's assistant, and a cameraman. A Professional Hunter is required, not optional.

The lion is a mature male with a fine looking mane. A trophy to be sure. The kill fee on this animal alone runs about $25000. The kill fee is your license, not what the guide charges. This is also why they didn't try to shoot him "between the eyes".

The rifle caliber has also been speculated on. From everything that I have read, .375 H&H is the minimum required by law.

About the clothing, not just that this is standard in Africa, but some African countries do not allow camo of any kind.

As far as the number of shots, I liken this to what a personal defense shootout would be like. Surely you all have seen the video of the shootout with two troopers and a perp in a Blazer. Everyone empties their guns and no one gets hit. I can see these two situations being very similar.

Bottom line, before a person is overly critical he should have some insight instead of jumping to assumptions.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:03 AM

That there was one lucky SOB!!!! Sure appeared as if he was going to be kitty food!!!!....