Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting. >

Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting.

Old 12-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting.

Whitetails are not a challenge!Muley are you kidding me or what.I guess they aren't if your a road- hunting doe shooter.I guess everbody who has ever shot a big buck just got lucky.Man your post are so funny you should write a book.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:30 PM

Trac209,

IMHO, you appear to be simplisticly "molding" what Muley69 said into what you WANT it to say, instead coping with what was ACTUALLY said.... here's the difference:

Muley69:
Look I hunt whitetails occassionally too, that doesn't mean I consider it a great challege. Frankly, whitetails are the easiest big game animal there is to hunt.
Trac209:
Whitetails are not a challenge!Muley are you kidding me or what.
Now, now, that is NOT what Muley69 said ---- READ. He simply stated that in the realm of "big game" hunting, that he considered the whitetail to be the easiest of the bunch.

Now, if you wish to nominate an alternative big game animal here in North America as being easier to hunt than whitetail, then let's hear your position on it.

Bad twisting of someone else's statement.... bad.
=================

On A Totally Separate, But Related Note:

Personally, when teaching a young hunter the ropes I start'em with gun safety and 22 on targets and shotgun on blue rocks, then hunting for rabbits and birds, and then once they progress into centerfire rifles (lite) I start'em in on prairie dogs and then when it is time for the youngster's first big game hunt (lite) it is time to do the white tail hunt, no easier big game (lite) I know of. If you don't get the "drop" on them on the first encounter (some times kids are a little slow to "acquire & fire") then if the terrain is open enough whitetail often give you that wonderful second chance, just let'em run out to 125 yards or so and they so often strike that wonderful and classic "whitetail pose" i.e. turn broadside and look at you for 5-7 seconds, bang game over.

Great place for a kid to "cut their teeth" on big game (lite). IMHO, no other game animal comes close: not antelope (300-400 yard shots are too common), not multi-day remote hunts for elk (too much hardship), nor high mountain mulies, goats, or sheep (air's too thin and the car is too far for them).... nope, IMHO, a whitetail hunt is "thee" starting spot for big game (lite). For the most part, whitetail don't migrate, can be located close to home so the youngster sleeps in his own bed, everyone can fix their own breakfast (usually the kid's mom at home) and then be picked up, it's typically a short walk (less than two miles) in easy, non-mountain terrain to get to the hunting area so kids don't get tuckered out and its easy to take them back to the car [or town] and "warm them up" if needed, whitetail can be hunted in half days (good for a kid's typically short attention span), and whitetail are easy to kill thus allowing the use inexpensive and available, low recoiling/modest performing rifles which allows novice hunters to shoot better. Whitetails are an absolutely great place for a kid (or anyone else for that matter) to "cut their teeth" on their first big game (lite) hunt.
=================

Trac209, I look forward to your nomination for the "easiest big game animal to hunt." [If no answer, then I'll assume you agree it's the whitetail. ]

EKM
Old 12-04-2004, 01:46 PM

I read eelse that this lion had been killing a lot of people and was captured and sent to a lion only preserve where it proceeded to kill every other lion it came in contact with.

Metro...
Old 12-04-2004, 02:53 PM

I am just now sitting down to watch the Ghost and the Darkness, it's great how these threads stimulate us to debate and question the world we live in.

Metro
Old 12-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear a lot of big talk from a lot of people who have never been on a lion hunt.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:37 PM

James Vee,

Please give us your read on the issues of this thread; I'm interested in your viewpoint.

EKM
Old 12-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually Elk, I agree with a lot of things you have had to say on this thread. I spent quite a bit of time this last summer working/hunting in Africa and I do have experience with lions and lion hunting. You can look at my webpage in my sig if you don't believe that. One of the PH's that I worked with is friends with one of the PH's you see in the video. The video itself is not a bad video. That's the way things go sometimes. It would be nice if every hunt was just as easy as the first shot. But those of us with any experience know it doesn't always work that way. You hunt dangerous game and you will have the possibility of running into some dangerous situations. This just happened to be one of those situations.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:55 PM

Good to hear from someone who has actually been there and done it.
I've heard that the PH community over there is pretty tight, interesting that you knew someone who knew the PH in the film --- cool.

Regarding remote/away from home big game hunts (primarily elk in the Rockies), I'm fond of saying that, part of "adventure" is "mis-adventure." Perhaps this lion hunt was "just one of those times" where things didn't go "just right." I like your phrase,
"Thats just the way things go sometimes. It would be nice if it was a easy as the first shot. But those of us with any experience know it doesn't always work that way."
In addition to the African game pix those are some nice whitetail pix (and other NA game) on your web page too.

Good for you,

EKM
Old 12-04-2004, 05:03 PM

"Thats just the way things go sometimes. It would be nice if it was a easy as the first shot."

Man I understand that, I am not a professional hunter but I am in construction and part of my speciality can be very dangerous when you least expect it. What I have learned and has let me grow to the ripe old age of 37 is that you need to adapt and overcome sometimes in a very short time frame. What seperates the men from the boys is trying to forsee problems but realizing that you can't predict everything and be ready for anything. From the attitudes of everyone after the event, I would guess those guides have probably seen worse

Metro...
Old 12-04-2004, 05:40 PM

EKM; you hit it dead on the nail. Trac209 is bringing baggage from another thread because he disagrees with me on other issues. The only other big game animal that is even close to the ease of whitetails is the pronghorn. People can read whatever they want to in my post. I even stated that on occassion I too hunt whitetails, but apparently that doesn't matter. My second day out taking a break from elk hunting, I shot a whitetail buck. In less than 6 hours of whitetail hunting I had collected my buck, compared to countless hours of elk hunting w/o success. Whitetail follow trails, have small home ranges, are abundant, have routines and can be easily patterned. In fact, they arre considered a nuisence in many area's of the country.

Quick Reply: Note to self, NEVER go lion hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.