Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What kind of antlers do you rattle? >

What kind of antlers do you rattle?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What kind of antlers do you rattle?

Old 11-28-2004, 11:53 PM

Default What kind of antlers do you rattle?

Synthetic or real? What is the best synthetic brand out there or does it really matter? I haven't gotten a buck yet so I don't have any real ones yet. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:54 AM

Default RE: What kind of antlers do you rattle?

stronski i first started using a rattling bag bout 5 yrs ago but this past season i had a older gent that moved in by me that gave up hunting due to bad health give me some of his hunting stuff.
anyway he gave me a set of 6 point antlers he had so i decided to try them, well i took them out a few times and yeah they worked had a nice buck come in but never close enough for a good shot as well i have rattled in a fair share of bucks with the rattling bag, but i would say it has alot to do with the buck to doe ratio and wether or not a buck is close enough to hear the rattling and if he is interested it all depends on the deer IMO
Old 11-29-2004, 04:07 PM

i agree with DS. i think it matters just in what the deer is interested in. Most of the time, i use a set of 140 or 150 class antlers. My dad found a dead buck in iowa when he was walking a patch of timber for work after shotgun season. he cut the horns off and then i endedup drilling a hole in each one and threaded a long boot lace through the hole. they work like a charm. when im packing light, i have a rattle bag in my day pack. i need to get a new one, as i had my current one slip off the front rack of my ATV to be run over. all the pieces of wood came flying out. I don't think the Primos synthetic ones sound very good at all

slayer
Old 11-30-2004, 07:23 AM

With some help from my wife, I made a rattling bag. I used 5/8" cedar 10 inches long. Using some scrap camo from some shirts she had made, she put a zipper in one end to insert the sticks. Comparing to a friends store bought bag, mine seem to have a heftier sound .
I didn't have too much success as the bucks were not fighting much with an out of balance ratio of does to bucks. But our group of 6 hunters have made an effort to make the ratio more even. Our one real serious members, (he is allergic to beef and relies on venison for his meat) he has seen over 6 fights this fall. That's more than he has seen in the past 6-8 years. The largest group of does I have seen this past summer was 5. A few years back, I had seen groups of 12 to15. We're getting a more positive reaction from the bucks with rattles and even grunt tubes.
So if the bucks don't respond to well, start working more on reducing the doe population.

Russ