Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How is your hunting in Texas?

Old 11-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Spike

Default How is your hunting in Texas?

Hello everyone!! I haven't been here in a while. Just curious to see if the hunting around me is the same. Not much going on at the feeders, and nor in the wheat feilds. Seems like the deer are moving late in the mornings and evenings. Is anyone seeing this too?

They must still have too much to eat. Everything here is sloshy, muddy, and nasty, but I keep going for some reason.

Seems like opening day was better than it is now. I haven't seen any hitting the fields at night either.

See Ya'll
Old 11-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How is your hunting in Texas?

I think this past weekend was a lot better than opening weekend. I just sat in my stand all day watching deer. That was in Crockett County, I am going to my small place in Callahan County this weekend. If we get a good cold front in I think things will pick up a lot more in your neck of the woods. We do need some of this vegatation to die out so they will start coming to the feeders a little more.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Spike

Where is your place in Callahan County. That is where I am hunting. I'm in the northwest corner, but I know everyone in the County.

Get ready for slow movement. Only thing I have seen of any size is a 9 pt. theat would go 140-145. Also a big main frame 8, real heavy but not much tine length, spead was good 20-22 in. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not super familiar with the area yet, I hunt just south of Denton Valley great looking area just haven't seen much yet, I think they are trying to get used to my stand and feeder. Thanks for the info, I think I am just going to sit it out this year and just do a lot of scouting. It wil have to be a giant for me to pull the trigger.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:37 PM

I hunt near Brady. . .hunted with my boys the last weekend of oct. and saw little movement, heat and moon. Opening weekend I saw a nice 8 pt. at first light and a yote but passed on both hoping better to come. Last weekend the same again. . .very little movement. I am guessing the moon and fact that we have had a real wet fall, huge acorn crop and plenty of forage has kept them tucked away. I am going out this wekend again and hope the rut has started them moving a bit more.

Been hearing much the same from a few other friends who hunt hill country.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:17 AM

Seen some decent bucks, but no real shooters yet. Lots and lots of cull bucks, more than a normal year. Starting to see some rut in Edwards county.