Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Texas?

Old 12-09-2003, 06:58 AM

Default Hunting Texas?

I live in central Arkansas and get to spend many days a year bowhunting whitetails. I am relatively new to the sport having started about 3 years ago. Since then, I have been completely hooked by the complexities and the joys of 'trying' to become a successful bowhunter. I have taken 4 deer with my bow, but have yet to take a "shooter" buck. My family and I are considering a bowhunt in Texas in January; however, there are so many places it is extremely hard to choose. We really aren't interested "exotics", or the high dollar "trophy" animal. We would just like to go to a place for a couple days for a reasonable price, get to see a large amount of game, and have ample opportunity at buck deer. If I was going to pull a size out of the air, I would say we are actually looking for deer in the 120 class. Granted, I would love to take a bigger deer (and will try to do so my next trip in the woods), but I wouldn't mind having a little more experience under my belt before I get my opportunity at the "big boy".
Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with the ranches in Texas. We would like to take a relatively cheap trip (around 1000 bucks for 2-3 days) with whitetails being the priority, but we have some interest in hogs and turkeys as well.

Thanks for any replies

Will
Old 12-09-2003, 07:28 AM

Default RE: Hunting Texas?

First of all an out of state license is $500. You can get some say leases around Llano for about $80/day. That is about the cheapest I know about. They go up from there.

I hear you guys have a ton of deer in the area you are in. Why would you want to come to Texas? I know several people that go from Texas to hunt in Arkansas because of the great hunting. I quess the grass is greener on the other side.