Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Fresh Earth cover scent...Anyone use it? >

Fresh Earth cover scent...Anyone use it?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fresh Earth cover scent...Anyone use it?

Old 11-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Fresh Earth cover scent...Anyone use it?

I have placed them in with my hunting clothes in a scent proof bag and .......oh boy do they work , make sure the bag is completely closed or you can really stink up a room.
I do the same thing, except I use the big rubber made containers. I have used just about all scent killers made and have found out that if the wind is not right, your still going to get busted.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:33 AM

Kevin -

Thanks for the advice!

Will post the results after the weekend.

burniegoeasily -

Huh. That's interesting.

I have used just about all scent killers made and have found out that if the wind is not right, your still going to get busted.
What do you mean by that? Meaning if the wind is in your favor by direction?

Macintosh
Old 11-04-2004, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Mac ,
he means that no scent control products or programs are 100% where a whitetail's nose is concerned , it's their primary defense against predators , and a marvel of sensory detection .

Don't stress yourself out about the hunt , just move very slowly , pause frequently to observe , take your time , and above all else enjoy it . The worst that can happen is that you'll have a good time .
Keep the wind before you and your cares behind .
Old 11-04-2004, 08:56 AM

Kevin -

Got you.

Will try to calm down...pretty hard to do that when it's my first time to do this type of hunt. One thing is for certain, I will take my time, slow and quiet as possible. Look slow for movement. That makes sense.

I'm just so pumped up! [:@] It's hard to calm down. Feel like a kid going fishing for the first time! (chuckling)

Probably will not get any sleep the night before the hunt which is just tommorow! Too excited about this.

Will post the results and hopefully with a photo!

macintosh
Old 11-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I hear ya Mac !
Spot and stalk is a fave of mine too . Stand hunting is very hard for me , it took me years to get to the point where I could stay on stand all day , but the increases in deer sightings took some of the sting out of it .

A good stalker moves far less often than he stands still , silence is loud to him , and movement is always slow and deliberate . Always feel the ground with your foot for twigs before you set it down , and always keep your heels off the ground to reduce noise . I found it helpful to study the way my quarry walks and the sounds that they make from videos . Deer have a particular cadence to their walk , imitate it and sound like them with soft social grunts . Sometimes you can imitate the sounds of an approaching turkey or other critter to mask your true identity .

Ground covered is far less important than how invisibly you do it , think like a ninja . A ninja lives by stealth and cunning , they use the terrain and available cover to their advantage . They never let their target see their face . Deer frequently keep the wind at their back so that their awesome nose can cover their back side while their ears and eyes protect them from the front . Use this to your advantage , keep the wind in your face .

Good luck tomorrow !