Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fresh Earth Scent A Bust??

Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fresh Earth Scent A Bust??

I read an article on scents this past weekend in an old magazine discussing the different ways that animals track fellow animals. The article compared deer to blood hounds and how hounds not only trail people by the scent of clothes, but by the smell of broken earth. This got me thinking, could the HS Fresh Earth Scent be a bad thing due to this? I do have to say I've sprayed a scentless coverscent on my boots yet watched deer and coyotes meet my tracks and turn and head the other way. So could by sitting up in your stand smelling like fresh earth possilby ruin your hunt??
Old 08-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fresh Earth Scent A Bust??

IMO, definitely not. Animals kick up dirt when they run around the woods, turkeys scratch up fresh dirt every single day, rain even washes leaves and dirt around. We aren't the only thing to kick up dirt in the woods, so you're safe with fresh earth scent. I've been using it since I was 12 and never had a problem. Sometimes I spray it in my truck just to enjoy it, haha, I love the smell of fresh dirt!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

I spray it in my truck just to enjoy it, haha, I love the smell of fresh dirt!

I bet your popular with the ladies.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stabnslab_WI

hahaha Nah,my g/f preferspine scent. Come rut I dab a little tarsal gland on my wrists and give her that wink . haha
Old 08-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ive been using it for many years and swear by it especailly if you have any plowed fields around. ive never been busted while being covered in fresh earth.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stabnslab_WI

hahaha Nah,my g/f preferspine scent. Come rut I dab a little tarsal gland on my wrists and give her that wink . haha
eww you use the deer tarsal glands!?!? thats disgusting! its all about the beaver tarsal glands!!
Old 08-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have done well when using the fresh earth scents.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:51 PM

One of the few scents I actually use. I have the spray, some wafers and even the laundry detergent.

Paul
Old 08-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason you have witnessed deer and yotes tracking you has nothing to do with the "cover scent" - it does however have to do with the fact that they will smell human along with the "cover scent".

The idea of covering human scent is a joke, but lots of companies are making MILLIONS off people anyway!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: childers

eww you use the deer tarsal glands!?!? thats disgusting! its all about the beaver tarsal glands!!
Never seen a beaver with Tarsal Glands, but if I do, I'll make sure I tell you you miss her!!!!

As to the OP, I think you're confusing things a bit. Earth scent in Colorado where there really isn't anything that smells like MidWestern "Earth" may be a bad thing, otherwise, especially as was mentioned above, near fresh plowed fields, etc, it's should be a good cover. I use a little earth as a cover when hunting most places I hunt, I'm also known to walk through the woods and smear walnuts all over my boots, because I know it's another scent that the deer are not in any way alarmed by. If you walk in without a face mask on, it may have been your breath that alerted them to your presence. I've increased my deer interaction tremendously since starting to wear a facemask, even on the way in. Now if you're hunting with that irritating brother-in-law that shouldn't be allowed in the woods anyhow, it's a different story completely.

Quick Reply: Fresh Earth Scent A Bust??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.