Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Fresh Earth cover scent...Anyone use it? >

Fresh Earth cover scent...Anyone use it?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fresh Earth cover scent...Anyone use it?

Old 11-02-2004, 10:38 AM

Default RE: Fresh Earth cover scent...Anyone use it?

I just bought some of those Fresh Earth Cover scent 2 weeks ago. Did all my laundry on my hunting clothes with the products from the same company from Earth Cover, also used the fresh earth dryer sheets too as well. After all that, I threw in 2 wafers in each 3 big plastic bags. All my hunting clothes, 2 days worth of socks, underwear, shirts and pants, even washed my backpacks and threw them in the bags! Just about everything I use on me, I threw it in the bags. Even washed my hunting boots (which I never done before) inside and out, took it outside and let it dry out, and then threw them in a plastic bag with 1 wafer in each boot.

Did all that 2 weeks ago. I just hope it's enough time for the wafers to work the scents into the clothes/boots since I'm going hunting this weekend.

Never used them before, but I figured might as well, and try it. I hunt in the thick of woods, and it smells the same kind of cover scent. I also got some of that human elimination earth scent spray too. Planning on spray on myself as I dress up, layer by layer. Should be completely INVISIBLE!

Wonder if I should spray earth scent onto my head before I put my hat on? I don't have any scent lock suits. I only hunt once a year for 2 days...figured I'd save money by just getting the scent covers.

Not sure if I'll pin one of the wafers onto me while I'm at the stand....think I've got enough on me!

What do you think?

Macintosh
Old 11-02-2004, 02:24 PM

I use the fresh earth scent spray and I believe it helps mask odors but I always try to hunt with the proper wind. Easier said than done though.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the white oak acorn scent wafers. In my opinion they work well.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:36 PM

i use the fall blend earth scent eliminater from scent shield. I use both the clothes wash and the spray. I am a very strong believer of this product because i have been winded very very few times since using the product. The stuff smells exaclty like a pile of dirt. I can also credit my scent lock suit as well as my animal cover scents but i still believe the earth scent is a bit contributor to my success.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:44 PM

The Scent Away spray in Fresh Earth has given me very good results. I've used that successfully many times.

Scent Killer unscented, on the other hand is horrible in my opinion. The three or four times I've used that I couldn't believe the number of deer that busted me from 60+ yards away. At first I thought it was just a coincidence, but there's no doubt in my mind that getting winded by that many deer is a result of that spray. I'm much better off wearing nothing on my clothing than I am wearing Scent Killer. [:@]
Old 11-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I make my own earth scent

It so simple to do just take some small zip lock bags to your hunting area and fill them with dirt.

I moisten the dirt and poke pin holes in the bag and place bag in with my hunting clothes.
When they dry out just re moisten the dirt.

Oh did I mention that it is also cheap
Old 11-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: macintosh

I just bought some of those Fresh Earth Cover scent 2 weeks ago. Did all my laundry on my hunting clothes with the products from the same company from Earth Cover, also used the fresh earth dryer sheets too as well. After all that, I threw in 2 wafers in each 3 big plastic bags. All my hunting clothes, 2 days worth of socks, underwear, shirts and pants, even washed my backpacks and threw them in the bags! Just about everything I use on me, I threw it in the bags. Even washed my hunting boots (which I never done before) inside and out, took it outside and let it dry out, and then threw them in a plastic bag with 1 wafer in each boot.

Did all that 2 weeks ago. I just hope it's enough time for the wafers to work the scents into the clothes/boots since I'm going hunting this weekend.

Never used them before, but I figured might as well, and try it. I hunt in the thick of woods, and it smells the same kind of cover scent. I also got some of that human elimination earth scent spray too. Planning on spray on myself as I dress up, layer by layer. Should be completely INVISIBLE!

Wonder if I should spray earth scent onto my head before I put my hat on? I don't have any scent lock suits. I only hunt once a year for 2 days...figured I'd save money by just getting the scent covers.

Not sure if I'll pin one of the wafers onto me while I'm at the stand....think I've got enough on me!

What do you think?

Macintosh
What's that smell ?

Yeah Mac , I'd say you've covered all the bases . The deer just might mistake you for a scrape if you're not careful . Do you put coon pee on your boots ?
Old 11-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't used the fresh earth, but i have used the acorn sent.. it seems to be working. this is my first year using it.. and bowhunting.. so far i've harvested a doe.. and seen multiple bucks which have not picked up my scent
Old 11-02-2004, 09:29 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I used to use the fresh earth scent body wash and the spray, but I switched to an unscented body wash because I would open the door to the bathroom after my shower and the steamy dirt smell would have my wife gagging for ten minutes. I woulid rather use the fresh earth untill it gets well below freezing, but I want to maintain harmony in the bedroom.

David
Old 11-03-2004, 09:33 AM

Kevin -

I can't be too carefull!

See, I never took it seriously till this year. For the past previous years I've always hunted with a hunting party that we drive out woods...the (easy) way.

So I'm determined to do this by myself this year. What's different about me is that I'm deaf. I've always relied on movement in the woods. No sounds. I can't hear anything, sure I use hearing aids, but still can't hear anything well at all, can't hear birds or natural sounds..like squirrel chipping or (walking sounds) from deer like my friends tell me. So I just got this phantom whitetail buck call. It's got digital sounds that you press on this small box like a remote control, and sounds like deer rattle, 3 different types of grunts, doe bleats, dissrest calls, ground scraping, deer step sounds. Nice thing about it, you can make multiple sound together too.. Never used it yet. But I'm very excited to try it out and see what happens.

And you can see why I'm going a bit (Overboard) with trying to eliminate any human smell from me. I want deer come to me without winding me. So, picture this...a deaf guy like me sitting, looking hard everywhere for movement, odd shapes or anything out of ordinary, making sure you move slowly your head, keeping quiet..not know if you're breathing too loud, etc.
And most of you guys can hear sounds that would make you look in the direction where the sound comes from, like a deer walking into your area, not me. Gotta look hard. Telling myself to look behind myself every 5 minutes..everything is just new to me.

So...ha ha.. I can see what you're saying "what's that smell" That's a good one!

I haven't gotten coon piss yet. Should I get it? Would that spook the deer a little bit? Sure we get coons in our area. Wasn't sure weather or not to get the coon piss. Was thinking about putting some doe in heat piss onto my boots and walk on to the stand, putting some tarsel glands 30-40 yards downwind of me along with some more doe in heat wicks.

What do you think?

macintosh

Quick Reply: Fresh Earth cover scent...Anyone use it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.