Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Frisky Whitetails ALREADY!!

Old 10-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Frisky Whitetails ALREADY!!

It's official I am now geared about whitey's!!

Went out last night for a little smokepole hunt, ok turned into more of a scout. Any way, being full moon and all things weren't really happening at my first spot so I decided to check out a few different spots. I drove to this large field and walked to a small fenceline bluff with my spotting scope and ML in tow...I noticed a few deer feeding, so decided to sit till dark. About 6:15 out come a decent 140 class 5 and hot on his trail was a exact replica 140 class deer. The follower horns the first one and it is on, they eye each other up and proceed to jar for a good 15 minutes in the open field, at times it was quite loud and agressive then tapered to sparring or shoving match but never once disengaged. This all happened with 150 yards from my vantage point and wished I would have grabbed the video vs the spotting scope. I wouldn't call it rut fight more along a territory scrape of setting up for what is to come! I certainly don't recall ever seeing anything in this manner prior, especially given the duration and some times intensity. The fact these were somewhat mature whitetails I am bit baffled but a very cool experience.

Anybody ever witnessed something similar? What you think this might mean?

One thing for sure I am now officially excited about hunting whitetails again, this fall has been a distraction spending time chasing elk, moose and my partners Mule deer has left little boil on the Jumper side of the coin...that is now displaced!

Best of luck to all!!
Old 10-29-2004, 03:50 AM

Default RE: Frisky Whitetails ALREADY!!

You're getting me excited!!
Old 10-29-2004, 04:13 AM

Sounds like pre rut
Old 10-29-2004, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

Never seen 'em fight but I've heard them, also found places where there was aftermath of a fight in the snow. Must have been awesome to see! After seeing all the whitetails this year I'm itchin to get one soon. I rattled in 2 small bucks last week but they were both forkers. Hopefully there will be bigger boys coming in to the horns tomorrow. Last kick at the cat for mulies on Sat then rifle starts. Hope the season is still going strong for you Skeeter JDinAB
Old 10-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know we are seeing bucks square off and a few getting hit by cars. i know they get hit all year long but it seems they pay less attention when they are chasing the ladies!! We had a land owners super at the clubhouse on Wed., on a hour drive I saw three bucks dead on the road.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh it is definately pre rut here but I can't recall a sparring match I have witnessed that was quite this heated. I may never see it again either, so very happy to be prevy to this little tussle.

JD you still can't get them MD's to follow plan(don't I know that all to well..lol)! Things are going good, no shots fired on bucks yet though! I did take one of my mule doe's last saturday with the bow though. I only saw 1 small buck the rest were women and childern. My partner was out this morning, just calling me to share the news that he saw several mulie bucks with does and one good one that the ML didn't go bang just click. He also said he saw a number of whitetail bucks as well but nothing stellar. I guess we are going tomorrow to see what happens on the last day of smokepole and I too plan on take the horns with to try a little tinkle. Any success in the middle of the day or just primetime with rattling? Wish you the best and hope you get a crack at something this weekend.

Good luck guys on your season, I hope it turns out to be a great one for all!
Old 10-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Hey, that's good to hear. I'm going to do some "scouting" in the Jedburgh area tomorrow and see what they're up to. I don't usually hunt that exact place but about 40km away. Hopefully I'll find some interesting activity as well.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

The action I had was at the end of the night about 1 hr. before sundown. As for this last sat. went for broke and ended up with nothing. Saw very little in the morning so I decided to do a stalk/push in the evening insted of sit in the stand. Was interesting...heard 2 bucks fighting so I decided to take al ook see. Couldn't find them but did come across some incredible sign. In a 10 ft. radius there must have been 10 rubs. Never seen anything like it before! I decided to walk through the heavy brush in the bedding area to try and push something to my cousin. Funny enough, I see a w.t. fawn staring at me at 50yds, I keep walking towards him and for some reason I decide to stop at about 35 yds. I look to my left to see a mulie buck just staring at me in his bed. Trying to control myself, I put down my shotgun (I was hunting pheasants & deer) don't ask...as I kneeled back up he bolted! It was unreal, I would have walked right by him if I never stoped, he was 10 yds away. As I walked on the fawn just kept running in front of like he knew he was safe. I also found a dead 4X4 mulie skull & spine. Just a little guy but I think he was shot and left for dead a while back. Anyhow that was my fun and I think I'll be moving my stand next year. Did end up shooting 5 geese and a pheasant the night before.
Whitetails...here I come!!! JDinAB