Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Feelin' Frisky! >

Feelin' Frisky!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Feelin' Frisky!

Old 04-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Feelin' Frisky!

After reviewing many posts on scopes, and listening to people brag over the years about quality optics, I challenge anyone to PROVE that high dollar scopes (except MAYBE in SERIOUS competition/life-or-death shooting) can make ANY difference in hunting in LEGAL SHOOTING LIGHT, than decent scopes in the 200.00 range!
I've heard people brag that their optics cost "twice as much as their guns!" But, you can see it any day, whether it be a baseball bat in the batters box, golf clubs off the tee box, or guns, 99% of these people CANNOT play up to their equipment!
I've said it before, I am "thrifty" to say the least!
My theory is that a decent gun, with a DECENT +/- 200.00 scope will make any LEGAL shot that a combo costing 10 times that much will make! PROVE that theory wrong!

Old 04-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Feelin' Frisky!

JagMag I am glad Im not the only one that thinks that way. Of course you can expect to be picked apart by the more is better is bigger crowd.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:47 AM

Jag,
Then you should stay in that price range.
Good Luck.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Many tomes I've posted my success with Tasco scopes.....

You don't have to sell me on this idea.....you don't even have to shell out anywhere near $200 to have a working and reliable scope on the gun!
Old 04-02-2006, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

JagMag,

I have to agree with you too. I will say in fairness I hunted in Germany when I was stationed there a few years back, and some of the high end scopes had somewhat better light gathering capabilities. However, I used a Simmons scope and hunted early morning, late night and night, and I still shot my fair number of deer and fox. IMHO, if you can afford to buy a scope that costs twice as much as your gun, hey it is you, go for it..... the difference does not make me want to. I have a Sauer that I got for a steal, but goes for over 2,000, yet it has a 89.00 Simmons Pro 50 on it. And guess what, I can see even in fog and it never has lost its zero. So economically what is the benefit? Again, this is MHO, but I think guys buy them for bragging rights only.......... then again, if someone gave me one, I would use it, but in my book and opinion, the cost doesn't justify it.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would generally agree, but what keeps me going back to a higher end scope is the eye relief. I've tried to save money on more cost effective scopes but once you use a high end scope it's hard to go back.

Just wondering, do you drive a Yugo?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

No Yugo! [8D]

Ford Explorer 4 x 4. Agree with eye relief, but get what I need. Sure if I ever used a higher end I would have to have bunches of them!
Old 04-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer
Just wondering, do you drive a Yugo?
Nope, but close, a Dodge Ram
Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against high dollar stuff, some of the braggarts can be nauseating though!

Old 04-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would agree, hearing the beating of the drum over and over and over!! LOL!! I like to hear others opinions and experiences, pros & cons, etc. It helps me make a more informed decision.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:23 AM

I kind of agree with you. I've seen the difference between good glass and cheap glass. There is a big difference! The problem is I think you reach a point where the price no longer supports the quality difference. The "Mid Priced" optics is where the value proposition stops as far as I'm concerned. I shop for guns the same way. I just don't have the money fora custom gun and jewlery on top!

Quick Reply: Feelin' Frisky!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.