HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Frisky Whitetails ALREADY!!
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 10:54 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default Frisky Whitetails ALREADY!!

It's official I am now geared about whitey's!!

Went out last night for a little smokepole hunt, ok turned into more of a scout. Any way, being full moon and all things weren't really happening at my first spot so I decided to check out a few different spots. I drove to this large field and walked to a small fenceline bluff with my spotting scope and ML in tow...I noticed a few deer feeding, so decided to sit till dark. About 6:15 out come a decent 140 class 5 and hot on his trail was a exact replica 140 class deer. The follower horns the first one and it is on, they eye each other up and proceed to jar for a good 15 minutes in the open field, at times it was quite loud and agressive then tapered to sparring or shoving match but never once disengaged. This all happened with 150 yards from my vantage point and wished I would have grabbed the video vs the spotting scope. I wouldn't call it rut fight more along a territory scrape of setting up for what is to come! I certainly don't recall ever seeing anything in this manner prior, especially given the duration and some times intensity. The fact these were somewhat mature whitetails I am bit baffled but a very cool experience.

Anybody ever witnessed something similar? What you think this might mean?

One thing for sure I am now officially excited about hunting whitetails again, this fall has been a distraction spending time chasing elk, moose and my partners Mule deer has left little boil on the Jumper side of the coin...that is now displaced!

Best of luck to all!!