Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

safety belt

Old 10-10-2004, 06:02 PM

Default safety belt

How many people on here just use a safety belt instead of a harness? A harness came with my treestand but that thing is a pain to put on and it always gets tangled. I think a belt is much better. I was wondering how safe they are?
Old 10-10-2004, 07:21 PM

Default RE: safety belt

I agree... the harness I got with my stand must have been fitted for a midget. When I put it on I feel like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. I'm thinking of getting one of those vest/harness.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:46 PM

Anybody on here wear just a safety belt only,no harness?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Always!! Prior to the truck getting sov their

daewregucucc==================
Old 10-13-2004, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bobby5

How many people on here just use a safety belt instead of a harness? A harness came with my treestand but that thing is a pain to put on and it always gets tangled. I think a belt is much better. I was wondering how safe they are?
Please do yourself a huge favor and use the harness. If the one that came with the stand is truly a royal pain, buy one that is not or one of the new vests with the harness incorporated into the entire system. A belt, while less cumbersome and easier to use can kill you or break your back. I am certified as a Tower climber and in Tower Rescue and would not even think about using an old fashioned belt anymore since the harnesses are available. Even a fall as short as 6" will produce produce a shock measured in thousands of pounds per square inch an can cause severe injury.
If you have any doubts as to the danger involved, check out the website of any of the companies providing Tower Safety equipment or that of OSHA.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:51 AM

I got a harness with my stand. I plan to keep it in camp and use it like one of those bent steel puzzles...you know, the two nails that you work for hours to take apart...The harness will be great fun. Plan to challenge people to a timed bet...20 bucks says you cannot be in the harness in 10 min or less. May pay for some new toys with my winnings!!

Here is what Im looking to buy....if anyone has experience, thoughts...let me know...Harness/vest
Old 10-13-2004, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would hate to be hanging by a belt up a tree.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Wooddust

I got a harness with my stand. I plan to keep it in camp and use it like one of those bent steel puzzles...you know, the two nails that you work for hours to take apart...The harness will be great fun. Plan to challenge people to a timed bet...20 bucks says you cannot be in the harness in 10 min or less. May pay for some new toys with my winnings!!

Here is what Im looking to buy....if anyone has experience, thoughts...let me know...Harness/vest
Hey, ditto on what a mind bender some of the harnesses are. The one I bought and used last year was very tough to put on the first two or three times. Really a fussy and stupid design. No thought at all by whomever designed it, imho. Luckily (1) I could put it on under my heavy jacket before I went outside into the dark and cold so could therefore take my time and muddle through it, and (2) after about the third time, I could actually put it on quicklyand easily. But, my strong recommendation is to not skimp on a harness -spend the extra $20 and buy one that is EASY and FOOL PROOF to put on. Really. Don't end up a "nick"
Old 10-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I would hate to be hanging by a belt up a tree.
You're right timbercruiser, not a pretty picture. Under the best circumstances, you have about 15 minutes to live. If you were knocked unconcious, at least you wouldn't have to suffer the agony until you died.