Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Do you wear your safety belt? You should ! >

Do you wear your safety belt? You should !

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you wear your safety belt? You should !

Old 10-14-2002, 07:43 PM

Default Do you wear your safety belt? You should !

On Friday I went out after work and was setting up. I use a summit climber and hooked it to the tree along with attaching my safety harness.
I started up the tree and got about 15 feet up when the base of my climber slipped. I am sure some of you know what I mean. Well mine didn’t catch after a few inches instead I rode it down about 12 feet.
I was a bit surprised. I wear the safety harness that comes with the summit stands. I think it’s a seat of the pants. Anyway it’s got a “breaking system” built into it so it slows you down and then stops you. If any of you have this style it’s where you loop around the tree with the rope and then attach to a loop that is ties to it. It defiantly works but I didn’t realize the slipknot would slip like that.
My stand base is damaged and I don’t have a cuticle on my trigger finger anymore. I have a few bruises but other then that I am fine and got to kiss my wife and one year old again. Please everyone wear your harness on the way up down and when you are in the stand.

P.s. think Summit will warranty the base of my stand I just bought it and cant afford to buy another. For now I’m felling lucky and hunting from the ground.

"Born to Hunt Forced To Work"
Old 10-14-2002, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you wear your safety belt? You should !

i hope everyone wears a safty belt. I fell 2 years ago from about 20 ft. and was lucky enough to walk away with a broken nose and slightly crushed vertabrea. I will not hunt without a five point harness ever again.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:42 PM

Default RE: Do you wear your safety belt? You should !

First off,thank you for wearing your harness,it just isn't fun reading about another hunter that was injured/killed as a result of a fall.I can say I share the same thing that happened to you,only my stan is an Ol'Man Vision.I was about 13' up the tree when all of a sudden everything let go and I dropped about 5'.When my harness caught I hit the tree pretty hard,and was almost sure I broke my jaw.I didn't luckily but it hurt for three days.It could have been far worse!I am quite fearful of heights and so I get a little timid and shakey and w/o the belt I just couln't do it.You raised a great point about being able to kiss your wife and son again.Keep that in mind all,and safe hunting.

Visit me at www.ATVTime.com!