Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Snort-and-Wheeze calling

Old 08-16-2004, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Snort-and-Wheeze calling

Has anyone ever tried a snort and wheeze call? i have and last year all the deer did was spin his head around at me and walked away. anyone ever have success with one?
Old 08-16-2004, 07:59 PM

Default RE: Snort-and-Wheeze calling

If you snorted by does, they probably moved, you told them " Get along little ladies."
If it was another buck, you probably scared the deer pellets out of him and he figured it wasnt worth a fight.
I'd much use a doe call instead then a territorial one ever, use a doe call and doe come, buck come.
Use a buck and you can either scare away a nice one (If he thinks by sound alone he would lose) or he knows its not his spot anyway so he moves on.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I caught a episode on outdoor channel and the hunter had a trophy deer just out of range in some thick stuff. He snort/wheezed and this huge buck laid his ears back and came right in. I could not believe it. Since then I wanted to add it to my arsenal but where do I find such a call?
Old 08-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

i bought my call from cabelas its made by M.A.D. calls. and i used it on a 115 class 10 point....my cousin shot it later that day
Old 08-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

M.A.D. Snort and Wheeze Call:

Old 08-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fella's..............you dont have to by a call for it, you can do it yourself. Ill try to explain.....BREATH IN WITH YOUR TOP LIP AGAINST YOUR TEETH,
AND THEN BLOW OUT THROUGH YOUR TEETH AND TOP LIP. IT KINDA SOUNDS LIKE A HOT AIR BALLOON WHEN THEN AID FLAME TO THE BALLON.(if you can hear that sound in your head! lol) I stalked a decent sized buck accidently when walking back to my uncles stand and he communciated to me with had gestures that a buck was bedded down in front of him in a honeysuckle thicket. It was a real windy day, and evey time the wind blew i took a step, i closed in and wanted to do a snort wheeze to get his response...........the buck stood up laid his ears back and started to circle me, then he winded me and was gone!! My uncle said it was like watching a hunting video it was cool. Larry Weishun, does it with his mouth also, that is where i learned it from.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

This works, believe me. You have to find the right deer though. Study their poster and attitude before trying it though, otherwise, it'll do not good, possibly even hurt you. I usually turn my grunt tube backwards and blow across the tube to make a loud wheezing sound. It really does drive them dominant bucks crazy though. Very fun call. Last year was the first time I tried doing it and was impressed.