Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone use the snort/wheeze? >

Anyone use the snort/wheeze?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone use the snort/wheeze?

Old 11-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone use the snort/wheeze?

I've seen the Drury's use it in the video's and I've been reading a lot more lately about this call. I haven't seen them in the stores around here yet.

Anyone use them and have an opinion about their effectiveness?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone use the snort/wheeze?

I did it to a ten point last year and he whipped his head around and showed some interest but never really came my way. i guess u gotta find a buck that has the right kinda fighting additude is my only guess.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

I've tried it a few times but have not had any response. I mostly hunt in heavily pressured areas though so the deer normally don't respond to calls.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Spike

I only use it when i'm desperite (sp). But I did manage to pull a buck out of his bed and come within 35 yrds earlier this season. I knew where he bed and hadn't seen him all morning so i figured he was in his bed, it got him up and moving.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used it multiple times to scare away non shooters around my stand once dark settles in. I do it to clear the area so they aren't spooked by my climbing down, so I hopefully don't educate them. Did it to a small 4 pointer weekend before last up in NY and he booked out of there quickly, never raised his tail or anything, just trotted away quickly.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:08 PM

i tried to use it once and got ok feed back but nothing that really excited the buck that much

Old 11-16-2005, 09:07 PM

My dad tryed it a few days ago to a nice 6 or 8 point tall tined deer and he said that he looked his way and went back to feedin and mosied on his way.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:54 AM

I've used this call with great results. Have never had a bad reaction to it. Called a non-shooter 7pt in with it and a little rattling last week. I don't use any type of store bought call. I just use my mouth. You can listen to sounds off the internet. Do a seach for "Deer sounds" and listen to the snort-weeze. It is 2 short crisp slurps(suck in on your lip)and one drawn out blow(through your teeth). I use it regularly and have a lot of confidence in it.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:14 AM

I also use my mouth to implement this call. You really can duplicate it pretty well with a bit of practice. Personally I've had pretty good success with the call. I believe I read somewhere that is actually a challenging call that whitetails use when interacting. I have brought several decent bucks in using this call. I recommend practicing it first, and then giving it a shot in the woods on some deer. I typically only use the call after already seeing a buck, and then if he appears that he won't come my way I'll give him a series of grunts and a snort wheeze or two to see how he responds. In the past we've actually turned deer back around after running away from us by going through this sequence. Like most calling in my opinion, it is ecspecially deadly when coupled with a decoy.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

I've had some success with it. I rattled in a 115-120" 9 pointer this season....to about 40 yards. I wasn't going to shoot, but wanted him to come closer. I grunted and nothing. I then just tried the 3 quick "ffft ffft ffft" of the snort / wheeze and he came ripping / tearing everything in his path straight to the base of my tree....probably the coolest thing I've ever seen a buck do. I've never heard a buck do the wheeze portion of the snort / wheeze so I don't do it either...and it has worked for me.

Quick Reply: Anyone use the snort/wheeze?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.