Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Looking for best Whitetail Outfitter... >

Looking for best Whitetail Outfitter...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking for best Whitetail Outfitter...

Old 02-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking for best Whitetail Outfitter...

Hiawatha, I don't doubt you have lots wanting a piece of your heaven, like I said the forest fringe areas always produce large numbers due to what the area offer to deer. The area your in has a high density of whitetails couple that with the good eats and the safety zones it will all equal good hunting opps for mature whitetails. I certainly will not argue as I hate to hunt in the south during rifle season as well, to many road hunters that don't know how to really hunt deer and just educate them. Not only that I never quite feel safe with all the trigger happy good ole boys out for a drive. Probably how the guys who come up your way feel! That being said it does have some top quality bucks living in it and while the sightings of good bucks might be lower than other areas, those who put on some boot miles will tell you that some true hawgs live a long ways from the bush in this province. I prefer hunting the forest fringe myself come november, as it offers everything the deer and myself want. For bow and muzzy I spend a great deal of time tropping the flat lands not to far from Saskatoon in areas that many just keeping driving and have seen plenty of big deer both body and rack size.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys I appreciate the information. Keep it comin. Skeeter it's funny you mention non-residents not being able to hunt the southern part of the province. I was going to ask that next, but you answered my question. Baiting comes with the territory. It's expected if you're hunting with an outfitter in northern saskatchewan like you stated. Skeeter, who would you hunt with up there if you had a choice?

Portable ladder, Doug, thanks for the link. I'll be sure to check it out.

Pork Chop, if you're interested in our 150's let me know. I had a chance at a 203, (the buck in my signature) but I screwed it up. Long story.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

James, to be frank that is something I really can't answer. All I would say is contact the camps that interest you, make a short list and call hunters that have hunted with the outfitter. Look at camps that have a good average vs a few big ones, also look for an outfitter who has good area knowledge(better that they live where they outfit) both camps I mentioned earlier are such areas that bring in good numbers year in/year out and are always booked well in advance, all good signs of a good outfitter/area.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Here is my question(s) about Sask. if anyone can help. I am wondering if it is worth the effort to try to go up without a guide and hunt public land? Or is there very little public land, and where can I find a map on the net which shows the public hunting access? Thirdly, do I have much of a chance at some nice bucks, or is it crappy land, and overcrowded?
I am from WI where we have thousands of acres of public land, and have killed many nice bucks because I scout, and hunt hard (try to to beleive I hunt smart). Can I expect the same results in Canada if you put in the effort, or is it all private land? Anybody? Thanks for your time.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

onehornjimmy; though I'm not an expert, I've seen a lot of nice bucks coming out of Ontario lately. I haven't had the chance to hunt there, but if I had the time or the money I definately would. Licenses are less than $200 for non-resident.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

onehornjimmy, as a non-resident you must hunt with an outfitter in saskatchewan, so no self guided trips are available. I believe ontario doesn't have this rule though and might be an option. As we all know area/game knowledge and access to the land is big key with hooking up on a mature buck as such it probably would be best to try to at least hook up with someone who has been there to help maximize your hunting time actually hunting not trying to find game or gain access to certain lands. Anywhere their is public land it will receive more pressure than other areas, this is not to say good deer can't be had in those lands but it does take experience or a good ole dose of good luck.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:24 AM

i have heard that first choice is a good outfitter, dont know personally
Old 02-03-2004, 04:09 PM

If you want to hunt some nice bucks pack up and head to Saskatchewan or Manitoba. There just is not the pressure that happens down south. I can take a drive almost any day in the valley's and see real nice bucks. I live in Saskatchewan but come from Manitoba and know that there are some monsters over there too. Take a read in Big Buck magazine, its full of Saskatchewan and Manitoba monsters. Forgot to mention Alberta as well.
Cheers!!
Old 02-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

We know how to hunt some big bucks here in Nebraska!
Bowhunting only! Go to www.stealtharchery.com to get more info!