Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baiting deer

Old 01-13-2004, 10:06 AM

Default RE: baiting deer

why is it unnecessary or not needed?some areas are so vast they will not hold the deer on that property.most of the deer feed at night and are seldom seen. mature bucks are rarely seen even in the day times. all it does is keep them in your area.what is the difference in a feeder or a corn field?what is the difference in a feeder and a trail?why do hunters wear camo? they are all ways to help the hunter . none are 100%.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:19 AM

amen dep214. Nothing we do is 100%.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:09 PM

bait them and shoot them who cares, if there is a problem with it talk to the folks who make the laws
Old 01-13-2004, 03:36 PM

Interesting question. Which is more disruptive to wildlife in general, and whitetail in particular?
1. Feeder/foodplot/attractant of some type.

2. 10 people conducting a drive, pushing animals out of their bedding/feeding areas.

3.Using dogs to push deer.

All can be common tactics, all are legal in some places, and illegal in others. Don't be too dogmatic about other's hunting tactics. If the tactic is legal in the area it is being practiced, accept it!
Old 01-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

The decision wether to allow baiting is made by the profesionals in whatever area it is or is not allowed in. These are people who are out there counting heards and the condition of said heards on a daily year long basis. How is it that someone who lives 500 or a 1000 miles away and has never seen that country side feel they are more qualified to make that decision than they are?
Old 01-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

I would suggest using corn that is still on the cob. The deer will still readily feed on it but they have to work a little harder to get their fill. Also, by using corn on the cob you will slow down the rate of consumption (slightly) of the other species of animals that will feed upon it.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted many hours this year in a blind facing a feeder and I shot ZERO deer from it this year. However I shot 2 nice bucks( you prolly saw my post of "my 2 bucks pics") anyway these bucks were never seen at any of the feeders. These bucks were both rattled in.
Between the 2 different places we hunt there was a totall of 6 bucks killed and none were shot from any of the many feeders that are established, they were all rattled in. Feeders only help deer through the winter and during the rut even though corn has very little nutrition. It will keep some in the area and on occasion you might get lucky. Like its been said before leave the laws to the biologists and game wardens, if it's legal go for it. There are many methods of hunting, I think deer drives are a funny way of hunting, would I do it given the chance HELL YA . I'd hunt out of a duck-blind striking on a turkey call while whistlen dixie if I though it would work. LOL
Old 01-13-2004, 06:45 PM

There's nothing wrong with baiting if its legal in your area, but i haven't had very much success with baiting as far as mature bucks go. I have sat on feeders many times and, if I see any deer, its always doe. I do know a guy that has harvested some huge bucks off of corn feeders, though, so i guess it just depends on your area.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me throw another 2 cents at this:

First, my view on baiting is it is ok with me. I've baited for years.

The thing that bothers me is it making baiting illegal is just one more step to making hunting illegal. If some want to hunt over bait, let em! It DOES NOT guarantee a kill, even a doe. The tree huggers want hunting shut down so they start at the easiest level - baiting. Here in MI, we've had generous baiting laws now down to some counties not allowing baiting, and in areas we can bait, we are limited to 2 gallons per day that has to be spread over a 10x10 area. The next step? No baiting altogether. You have to realize that baiting provides two things in this state in my mind: an income for those that sell bait, and type of hunting some people prefer.

For those that are against baiting, let me throw this out there: some prefer hunting over bait, some prefer hunting out of a tree stand over doe in heat scent. Is one worse than the other? Both attract deer to a point do they not? So why is the guy that rattles in a deer and has fake scrapes with scent all over so much better than the guy that hunts over bait? We all have our own techniques. Let us hunt. That is the point. Let me say that again: LET US HUNT!

Ok. Done.