Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How Did Your Gun Perform in the Field? >

How Did Your Gun Perform in the Field?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Did Your Gun Perform in the Field?

Old 12-09-2003, 01:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-09-2003, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How Did Your Gun Perform in the Field?

Herb I used to hunt deer with a 222 a lot. I had that Savage over/under 222 over 20 Ga.. Worked well except a few times when I selected the wrong barrel and shot at one at 100 yards or so with no 4 shot.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:13 PM

What caliber did you use? 12 GA shotgun and 50 cal ML

What bullet did you use? Remington coppersolid, 295gr hollowpoint powerbelt

How many grains was the bullet? 1 oz, 295gr

How far was the shot? 5yds shotgun, 70yds, 110yds, 130yds ml.

Where did you hit the deer?Chest, Chest, Neck, Chest

How far did the deer run after it was shot? 20yds, 10yds, 0yds, 20yds

Roughly how big was the exit hole (if any)? 1" shotgun, no exit, no exit, 1.5" ml.

How much did the deer weigh dressed (if you know that)?approx. 130lbs, 90lbs, 120lbs, 100lbs.
David
Old 12-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Spike

Deer #1 was a decent bodied 6. .308, 180 gr core loct, 67 yards, in the neck, dropped like a rock, the exit wound was about 2.5 inches in diameter, I wieghed it with the guts out, and it was just under 170 lbs. Deer #2 Doe, .45 Kentucky rifle, .44 cal round ball, 70 grains fffg, 45-50 yards, in the heart (broadside), she ran 100+ yards, no exit found a flat piece of lead under the skin on her opposite side, she weighed just ovewr 90 lbs. Deer 2 was my first deer with a muzzleloader, a few weeks ago but I'm still shaking a little.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:01 PM

What caliber did you use? 50 Cal. Kight mk-85, New Enland Firearm .270 single shot

What bullet did you use? 295 grain PB HP copper clad w/ 100 grains 777
, Winchester Super X
How many grains was the bullet? 295, 130

How far was the shot? 85 yards, 125 yards

Where did you hit the deer? chest, neck

How far did the deer run after it was shot? 25', 0'

Roughly how big was the exit hole (if any)? neither one exited

How much did the deer weigh dressed (if you know that)? 210, 140
Old 12-10-2003, 08:38 AM

What caliber did you use? Winchester lever action 30-30

What bullet did you use?
Remington

How many grains was the bullet?
170?

How far was the shot?30 yards

Where did you hit the deer?
5 inches behind the right shoulder

How far did the deer run after it was shot?50 yards

Roughly how big was the exit hole (if any)?
About the size of my pinky

How much did the deer weigh dressed (if you know that)?
119 pounds
Old 12-10-2003, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reports all. Lots of good info here.

I should also give a report since I started the thread. I gave Winchester Ballistic Silvertips a test drive this year and this is what happened:

What caliber did you use? 30-06

What bullet did you use? Winchester Ballistic Silvertips

How many grains was the bullet? 168

How far was the shot? 3 deer - 50/75/50 yards

Where did you hit the deer?
The first deer was a double lung shot.
The second deer started walking as I shot and I did not adjust appropriately. Caught the back of the lungs. Not an ideal shot.
The third deer was sharply quartering away. The bullet entered the back of the rib cage angling toward the opposite shoulder.

How far did the deer run after it was shot?
The first deer ran 50 yards and dropped. It moved fairly quickly, but looked like it was having a bad day the entire way.
The second deer went about 90 yards total. It was not able to run, but could best be decribed as walking quickly. The deer looked like it was trying to sneak away. It slowed to a slow walk after about 75 yards but did not stop, so I put in an anchoring shot in to keep it from walking over the next ridge. The shot angled from the back of the rib cage to the opposite front shoulder. It dropped at that point.
The third deer dropped immediately. The legs went stiff and the deer kind of dropped over with the legs extended straight out.

Roughly how big was the exit hole (if any)?
The exit hole on the first deer was small, maybe the size of a dime. The insides were mush.
The second deer had a larger exit hole that was maybe between the size of a quarter and half dollar. The second shot did not exit.
The third deer had no exit hole either.

How much did the deer weigh dressed (if you know that)? 180/115/95

I would say the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 168 grain bullet did a pretty good job overall. The first deer did not dropped immediately, but I could tell it would not go far from its behavior. I would say the bullet performed well on that one.
I did have the second deer travel a little farther than I would have liked, but by my own admission, I could have made a better shot. Considering the shot I made, I think the bullet did a pretty good job of slowing the deer down for a finishing off shot.
The third deer was obviously the ideal situation and was what I was hoping for with all 3. This is a pretty small sample size to make any definate calls from, but it appears that the 165's do not produce that deep shocking effect unless the deer is quartering away. Although the bullet performed just fine, I would like to give the 150's a try next year to see if I can get more of that shocking effect that was seen in deer number 3.