Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Does Triple-7 out perform Pyrodex >

Does Triple-7 out perform Pyrodex

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Does Triple-7 out perform Pyrodex

Old 07-10-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Does Triple-7 out perform Pyrodex

I was wondering if any body has experimented with both Pyrodex & T-7 in all conditions, Including hunting. It does seem like theT-7 has more recoil with the same load.(why ?)Any comments on the powder good or bad would be helpful.

Thanks Jason
Old 07-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Does Triple-7 out perform Pyrodex

ORIGINAL: Smithbros.1

I was wondering if any body has experimented with both Pyrodex & T-7 in all conditions, Including hunting. It does seem like theT-7 has more recoil with the same load.(why ?)Any comments on the powder good or bad would be helpful.

Thanks Jason
Loose Triple Se7en is approximately 15% stronger in power then Pyrodex RS. So if you load 100 grains of Pyrodex you need only 85 grains (approx) of the Triple Se7en to create the same pressures. Both are good powders. Whether one out performs the other, well each has their own good and bad points. Triple Se7en when used with a 209 primer has been known to cause a hard crud ring that needs to be cleaned out, sometimes between shots. This crud ring in some, not all cases, can be stubborn to remove. Pyrodex is dirty. The fowling from Pyrodex although terrible is usually a soft fowling and can be swabbed easy out of the barrel.

When cleaning, Triple Se7en will be easier to clean. Water is all that is needed to clean Triple Se7en. Pyrodex will clean up with soap and water also for the most part. Remember, just water will not remove lead, copper, of plastic fowling from the barrel bores. Triple Se7en is normally more expensive then Pyrodex also.

Both will give you excellent accuracy once you find the right load. It is just a matter of choice which one to use....

Good luck
Old 07-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Like cayugad said, loose 777 powder is more powerful than loose Pyro (per volume), so unless you compensate for the difference, 777 is going to punch you harder. However, the Pyro & 777 pellets are formulated to equal each other in pressure & power.

I can't say 777 recoils harder than Pyro, just differently (and everyone perceives recoil differently). To me, 777 recoils with a sharp, quick jump like that of a centerfire rifle; while Pyro or black is more of steady push.

Personally, I prefer 777 to Pyro. It's cleaner burning, more powerful, makes a bit less smoke, doesn't smell like a pig fart when fired [:'(], and my Knight just plain shoots better with it. About the only advantage I could give to Pyro is if it just happens to shoot better in your rifle or if the 777 crud ring just proves to be unmanageable in your rifle.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:11 PM

Getting ready to shoot my Knight for the first time (first time muzzleloader)using Triple Seven... where does this crud ring form, near the breech plug? What is the best way to clear it out?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

Best way to stop the 777 crudring is to change powder to American Pioneer Powder.

And use the FFFg formulation. Then you can say good-bye to crud ring and frozen breech plugs forever!

You can get it here: http://www.thespiritof76.com/cleanshotpaypal.html

Other than that, you'll have to swab the bore between every shot with 777[:-]
I'd use 2 wet and 2 dry patches. Just plain rubbing alcohol works for me, but windex is also good.

Good fortune with your new set-up!
Old 07-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Typical Buck

Which ignition do you have in your Knight, MD Piney? My USAK still uses #11 caps and I have no problem with the "ring" at all. I think it is more of an issue when using the hotter 209 primers.

If it forms, it'll bedown by the breechplug, 1 to 2 inches above it. I usuallyjust work a spit patch down my bore in short, fast, descending strokes until I hit the plug, then pull it out, turn the patch over and run the other side down in the same manner and I'm ready to go. Whatever you do, don't stop moving the rod as you're doing it this or else it will get stuck as you near the breechplug. If this doesn't work, try using a spitpatch wrapped around a used bore brush in the same fashion as sometimes the addition of the bristles with the patch will get the job done.

OH, BTW.....................make SURE you have a good anti-sieze or breechplug grease on the plug's threads before shooting any 777. If you don't, you will have a HARD time getting the plug out for cleaning. Personally, I've found that I have to use the teflon breechplug tape to keep from havng my plug freeze up on me when using 777.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:37 PM

777 is a sulphur less mixture so you don't have that NASTY rotten egg smell while shootin, or more importantly, while cleaning up in the kitchen!

It is true about the 777powder being more powerful than a volumetrically exact amount of Pyro. 777 pellets aren't actually 50 grains, they are volumetric equivalent too 50grains of Pyro. If you weighout 150grains of 777 powder and set it off in your gun, you WILL get your eyes crossed...

Good stuff tho and I never had a problem with cleanup when I was shootin it!
RA