Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Primos Can call?

Old 12-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Primos Can call?

I have this vision of thousands of orange clad guys setting in the woods making sounds from a toy that I used to have as a kid.

Not saying it does or doesn't work...just a chuckle at the thought of it.

Good luck and keep shaking that can!
Old 12-05-2003, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

Well, I used to think it didn't work at all and I stilll think it has limited application. But this year, I finally had some success with it. Or did I?

1) I called in a spike buck in pre-rut that was bedded down near my hunting spot. I turned the can over a couple of times and here he comes. But I was also using a grunter during that period, so now I'm wondering what did he really respond to?

2) I also called in a young 10 point (100 class) in peak rut using a combo of can and grunt. Used the can once and the deer grunt twice. He came in stopped 30 yards away and lip curled!!! That was cool!!! But I let him walk, cause I was looking for one a bit larger and more mature. Perhaps, he will be bigger next year!!!
Old 12-05-2003, 06:54 AM

I have used it this year calling in many bucks, including some bruisers!!
Old 12-05-2003, 10:38 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

I had been thinking of trying it and finally bought one (not Primos but another) when a coworker called in a huge 8 point with 22" spread and 12 inch g2's. He took it the last day of Muzzle loader. He hit it every 30 minutes and about 930 am he hit it and this beatutiful buck came busting thru the woods looking for it. It had the biggest rack I have seen in my area.

David
Old 12-05-2003, 11:09 AM

I have the primos "great big" can. It works pretty dam good. Last year when I bought it I thought I had found the holy grail of hunting. Every time I used it for the first 3 days of the season a deer would show up, it was getting funny. My 12 yr old son shot his first buck last year minutes after using it. This year I have had only limited luck with it. I had one deer respond. I think its like every other good call on the market, at the right time on the right day it can be dynamite. This years its been the primos grunt for me but I still have the can in my pocket.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never tried it but a buddy of mine used it last year and killed teh biggest buck of hos life. He said the buck came tohim and he did not offer a shot so when te deer passed he tried to run around to tht other ridge and the can was making noise in his pocket as he ran and the buck turned and ran back to him and he shot the deer who was running after him.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:14 PM

mikeforelk, it sounds to me that you wore your can out! i would get down to wally world get another one and get back out there !lol