Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer? >

What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

Old 12-10-2003, 11:36 AM

Default RE: What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

Do you guys even read the posts?
The deer was already shot, and obviously pretty wounded to let a beagle corner him, the man shot it with whatever he had. I would have shot it with the shotgun too, it's already wounded, you owe it to the animal to try to put it down however you can. What genius would think "well, I don't want to shoot it with this #6 shot, we'll just let it die slowly back in the swamp over the next week or so".
Why someone would be worrying about squirrels when there's a wounded deer to find is another question, though.

First fatal shot gets the deer
Old 12-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Amongest our group who ever puts the first hit on it gets the animal, regardless of who actually put it down. Which is usually pretty moot, considering we hunt in different areas apart from each other, it has happened though on tracks, etc and we have just stuck by the above mentioned rule. If your talking other hunters well it gets a little tricky, so I'd go with who ever put's it down and gets their first probably gets the deer. Again tricky if your 50 yards from a guy you hit him in the heart and he hits him in the arse but b/c your so close together...who hit it where and who gets it? More than likely the guy standing over the carcass will get the deer, unless you can reason with him/each other.

To the number 6 shot, if you knew your tracking a wounded deer why would you not load up slugs or buck shot??? Seems pretty odd to be hunting squirrels when your asked to help your brother find his deer? I question your priorities but hey sounds like you guys are out somewhat for yourselves any way[]. I certainly wouldn't walk up to my buddys or families deer shoot it in the head and say "MY DEER"..but that's just me!
Old 12-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

6ptsika, you wrote:

What genius would think "well, I don't want to shoot it with this #6 shot, we'll just let it die slowly back in the swamp over the next week or so".
Ever shoot anything over 30 pounds with 6-shot? Ever even attempt to shoot anything over 30 pounds with 6-shot that wasn't a turkey/bird?

As far as "genius"---his brother was just down the hill with a 30-06, and he unloads 6-shot---and then questions who gets the deer?

I don't know about you, but I don't think we're dealing with genius---possibly immature or insane or selfish---but definitely not genius...

If given the choice of further wounding a hurt animal or letting it take its chances, which one would you choose---because with 6-shot, I think you would have to unload from a very close distance (under 3 feet guestimate) to inflict a mortal wound, and then most likely only through either the eye or ear canal...

Obviously, even in this instance it wasn't enough...original quote:
I proceeded to unload the shotgun on this dude, but he kept getting up. After the 5th shot he stayed down, but still was not dead.
Would the deer have survived the shot to the arse?? Or was the "hunter" so intent on harvesting the "rare" deer that common sense (and his brother with the proper weapon) were cast aside for selfish gain??

You guys tell me...

All I know, is that if somebody posted on here that they harvested a deer with 6-shot---which to my knowledge was and still is illegal in every state---would we even be arguing over who owns the deer???

Good grief [:'(] and good night [>:]
Old 12-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

IF it can be determined who had the 1st killing shot it is theirs. As for 100 yards I have seen deer with the heart blown to bits run over that distance