Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer? >

What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

Old 12-03-2003, 07:50 PM

Default What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

I'm going hunting on public area tomorrow and there should be a good number of other hunters.

I was wondering if I shoot a deer that keeps running and then is shot by someone else, whose deer is it?

Is there a rule of thumb?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:54 PM

Default RE: What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

if you shoot a deer & it runs more than like 100 yards then i have went with i made a bad shot, thats his deer. BUT if someone is crowding you & that deer runs less than 100 yards & gets shot.....thats your deer. Not really a rule of thumb but common courtesy.

Tim
Old 12-03-2003, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been wondering about this myself, as I'm currently limited to hunting public lands. I would say that the first hunter to connect has rights to the kill, but I'm as eager as you to hear what the others say.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard that who ever delivers the killing shot. Obviously though there is an amount of 'courtesy' invlovled. Good Luck
Old 12-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had always heard that the "1st fatal/lethal shot" is the one that gets the animal. but as this is a grey area, i don't know. If you shoot a deer in the foot and some guy sends one through the chest, i would definetly say thats his animal. `there was a great article on this i read this week in a magazine, i will see if i can find the name of the publication. the article said that there usually is never a dispute over does or spikes, just the big 'uns...
Old 12-03-2003, 08:02 PM

Like the others said usually a kill shot is your deer. But usually if its a kill shot he wont run more than 100+ yards. I hunt public land & have never had a problem with shooting someone elses deer or vise vs.

Tim
Old 12-03-2003, 08:11 PM

Excellent question. Many years ago my brother and I got into this arguement over a deer he shot in the morning. He asked me to go with him and help track it that afternoon, and I did with my 12 gauge loaded with 6 shot for squirrels. Well, we are walking thru a cutover and our beagle takes off up a hill to ridge where he is barking like crazy in the woods. Older brother turns to me and says "go see what the heck he is barking at". I go about 150 yards up the ridge to find our beagle has a 6 point hemmed up with a shot in his back leg. I proceeded to unload the shotgun on this dude, but he kept getting up. After the 5th shot he stayed down, but still was not dead. My brother walked up with his 30-06 and put one in his head, and said: " My deer".

This happened about 20 years ago, when if you even saw a deer here in MS. you were in the minority. We still argue about whose deer it was till this day!

What y'alls take? Whose deer should it have been?
Old 12-03-2003, 08:11 PM

whoever drops the deer! if you make a "kill shot, but it runs 100 yards and is about to go down, but just as its going down, another hunter fires and hits it. its the other hunters. who knows who made the "kill shot", possibly you both could have. it boils down to common sense and the situation. i have never been in the situation. but i will tell you, if i shot a deer and i knew i made a good clean fatal hit and it runs 30 yards and then i hear another shot. i walk over to the deer and the other hunter that shot walks to the deer, we inspect the deer and its only been hit once, and the other hunter is a younger fellow. ill let him have it. if its an older fellow, ill try and get a feel for his situation. i dunno, i just love to be out there. i also like to talk and make friends with other hunters. to be honest, it all depends on the situation. but usually the hit that drops the deer keeps the deer.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:13 PM

Excellent question. Many years ago my brother and I got into this arguement over a deer he shot in the morning. He asked me to go with him and help track it that afternoon, and I did with my 12 gauge loaded with 6 shot for squirrels. Well, we are walking thru a cutover and our beagle takes off up a hill to ridge where he is barking like crazy in the woods. Older brother turns to me and says "go see what the heck he is barking at". I go about 150 yards up the ridge to find our beagle has a 6 point hemmed up with a shot in his back leg. I proceeded to unload the shotgun on this dude, but he kept getting up. After the 5th shot he stayed down, but still was not dead. My brother walked up with his 30-06 and put one in his head, and said: " My deer".

This happened about 20 years ago, when if you even saw a deer here in MS. you were in the minority. We still argue about whose deer it was till this day!

What y'alls take? Whose deer should it have been?
thats rediculous, why shoot it in the head with an .06? why didnt you cut its throat and let it bleed. and why did you have 6 shot in your gauge?
Old 12-03-2003, 08:18 PM

I'd say whoever made the kill shot.

Quick Reply: What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.