Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer? >

What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

Old 12-03-2003, 08:38 PM

Default RE: What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

Maybe you should read the post again....
Old 12-03-2003, 09:51 PM

well this happend to me on private ground, i made a kinda bad shot and the deer kept on running and the guy on the property next to the one we were on saw the deer movin but not to fast and dropped it and waited till we got to it. he cut the neck and everything. and he goes here ya go i finished it off for ya. i was like cool thanks. but i would have to say like already stated if it goes more than 100yrds and someone else shoots it than its more than likely theres. but they might let ya have it depends on how nice they are and what not.But i havent had that problem on public ground yet
Old 12-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would say whoever fires the killing shot owns the deer. However this little story comes to mind. Another hunter and I both shot at a deer one day. The deer went down but we didn't know who had hit it. When we dressed it out the other guy said what is this little plastic think? I looked at it and it was the tip off the nosler ballistic tip which only I was useing. That was the first year I had ever tried the BT's. The other guy was disappointed because it was his last day to hunt. I told him to take it home with him as I had several days left to hunt. We may have both hit it but that little tip was right in the heart.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are hunting in an area where you have to worry about somebody getting an animal you shot if it goes 100 yds, I think its time to move. That is awful close for people to be in one area that aren't hunting together. I say that the first one to shoot the animal should claim it.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:45 PM

once in the hip, six in the chest, and one in the head? I would have gladly let him take the bloody mess.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have to say the first person to get a "good" shot. If it doesnt drop right there, then it is still your deer. If it is a shot that will kill the deer, then it is your deer. If I shot a deer, that someone shot 150 yards away, its their deer. Unless it was a shot to the leg. It all depends on the situation.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:15 AM

Seen some pretty bad things in my day with this topic. Private land is the best, especially if a deer crosses the property line, what comes around goes around, and the people are pretty good for the most part. Public land is just a crap shoot. Too many people that "just have to get a deer", no matter what.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only times I've been involved with this situation was between my Dad and I shooting the same deer. Usually we try and determine who's shot is who's, if both have killing shots, then its usually whoever has the least amount of time left to hunt who tags it. Of the 2 occasions its occured, he tagged one, and I tagged one.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:42 AM

First mortal hit on the deer is what i go one ....just 2 weeks ago i shot a deer someone had shot 25-30 minutes before i saw him ,was a shoulder hit one lung the deer probably would have been lost seeing how he didn't want to track it far but luckily i got an opportunity to hit it with a double lung pass through ,the deer piled up 20 yards further away and after discovering the bullet wound (I had a bow) I considered it as a finishing shot for him , His deer. but i guess it all depends on the other hunters ethics and morals.
But IMO First mortal hit gets the deer.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Ground hunter you were hunting squirrels and yet you still shot at a deer with squirrel shot??? Chances are all you were gonin to do was injure the deer anyways. Why wouldn't you have called your brother over with his 30-06 to do the job right the first time?

Quick Reply: What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.