Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer? >

What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

Old 12-04-2003, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

What you do is, first you draw a circle in the ground, about a 6 foot diameter. You and the other person stand in the circle. You then find someone of a neutral party to throw the deer in the air. Who ever wins the tip gets the deer.

Honestly I have no clue.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can see why he'd want to put the deer out of it's misery from the leg sound, but I couldn't be the one to pull the trigger with #6 shot.
Not clean enough for me, and probably illegal as hell.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are hunting in an area where you have to worry about somebody getting an animal you shot if it goes 100 yds, I think its time to move. That is awful close for people to be in one area that aren't hunting together. I say that the first one to shoot the animal should claim it.
Charlie,

You should hunt where I do. There are guys posted every 50 yards in some spots. No kidding.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:35 AM

I say that as good as taxidermist are now....practice your shooting and put a shot on the deer that will drop him in his tracks.....does and other deer that I wont mount....will get the head shot if I have a good shot....otherwise I shoot them in the neck.....Big Bucks will get one in the neck......
Old 12-04-2003, 09:08 AM

At our club it's the one who puts the deer down for good. That way there is no question of "killing shot" or argument.

I once saw a deer shot, run 30 yards or so and fall. The hunter waited a few minutes and started to go to the deer, while he was doing that the deer got up and ran across a ridge. Another hunter shot the deer and it fell again, but this time stayed down. Even though there was a humongous puddle of blood where the deer fell the first time (and no doubt the first hunters shot would have killed the deer), the deer belonged to the second hunter.

Again, this rule at our club negates all argument.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

May have to boil down to armwrestling competition to claim it!!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:15 AM

Who ever delivers the fatal blow and downs the deer.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: GroundHunter

Excellent question. Many years ago my brother and I got into this arguement over a deer he shot in the morning. He asked me to go with him and help track it that afternoon, and I did with my 12 gauge loaded with 6 shot for squirrels. Well, we are walking thru a cutover and our beagle takes off up a hill to ridge where he is barking like crazy in the woods. Older brother turns to me and says "go see what the heck he is barking at". I go about 150 yards up the ridge to find our beagle has a 6 point hemmed up with a shot in his back leg. I proceeded to unload the shotgun on this dude, but he kept getting up. After the 5th shot he stayed down, but still was not dead. My brother walked up with his 30-06 and put one in his head, and said: " My deer".

This happened about 20 years ago, when if you even saw a deer here in MS. you were in the minority. We still argue about whose deer it was till this day!

What y'alls take? Whose deer should it have been?
To me, this one's easy - shooting at a deer w/ 6shot is not smart (of course, I wasn't there, so maybe it did make sense at the time), nor would it likely to be fatal. I'm with your brother on this one, and I'm hoping he pointed out the folly of shooting it w/ bird shot. But if it was my brother, we'd end up dragging, butchering, etc. together and sharing the meat 50/50. -zeke
Old 12-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was taught in Firearm and Bowhunter Education these two concepts years ago...as far as I know, they are still taught in NY and by the IBO:

1) For firearm season, the person that downs the deer owns the deer. IF the person who downs the deer is intercepted by another hunter who claims to have delivered a lethal blow, the second shooter may decide to offer the first shooter the harvest. But, it is legally the second shooter's deer.

2) For archery season, the first lethal hit owns the deer. Hence, deer will run farther when hit by arrow, therefore the "first lethal hit rule". Legally, however, I believe the person that downs the deer still owns the deer. I have, personally however, never known of an archery deer that received more than one lethal blow.

I guess that's why many in my hometown were taught to aim for the base of the jaw, right in the neck. My friends & I have never had one get up, let alone run off, when shot properly in the neck.

S&R
Old 12-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

And you shot a deer with 6-shot???

And your questioning who owns the deer??

Good grief Charlie Brown, wake up! Lucy is going to pull that football away at the last second...

Kinda' a no-brainer isn't it? Do you really honestly believe, even to this day, that 20 rounds of 6-shot would have killed that deer?

Because if 6 rounds did not, I don't think any amount of 6-shot would have...

But that's just an observation

Quick Reply: What is the "rule" if two people shoot one deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.