Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Movement with the Temp??

Old 12-03-2003, 06:01 PM

Default Deer Movement with the Temp??

I have read that in the South deer move when it gets warmer and the deer in the North move when its colder? For some reason I would think it would be the opposite. I live in TN and when I hear its gonna be cold in the morn I automatically figure that the deer are gonna be moving. Maybe I have misread or just a brain-fart ha[8D]... thanks for the info.... only my 2nd yr of hunting and have all sorts of questions.....
Old 12-03-2003, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Deer Movement with the Temp??

Tyler. me to. I watch the forecast for Charleston and get fired up when I see a good hard freeze. Figure they have to move for food. Maybe we are bassackwards.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Seasoned hunters, correct me if I'm wrong, but deer tend to feed as fronts come and go, and also when the temperature drops. They want to conserve energy as much possible. By feeding and gaining nutrients, they can afford to bed down in security cover, thus saving energy during the nasty weather.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:56 PM

Deer usually run to get food & water & to safe cover when a front moves in. But once that front moves in dont expect to see a deer just wonder into your woods unless he is kicked up. Thats what i have been taught.

Tim
Old 12-03-2003, 08:02 PM

i agree with aught six. although, ive seen deer moving in every scenario imaginable. i cant say why they are moving, be it hunting pressure, they are bored....i just know ive seen it.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

although, ive seen deer moving in every scenario imaginable.
Great point. No matter how hard we scout and study, sometimes the deer just do things we would never expect.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I've seen; the colder it is, the more they move in daylight.
But then there's the rut...all rules are out then.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

From what I've seen here in MI, when cold weather first rolls in, they tend to move a bit more during daylight hours. When it really gets cold out, they will move during the day when temps get a little warmer. True about the fronts - just like bass fishing, deer go on a feeding nut prior to a front or storm. It's said that deer movement will be best when there is a steady high pressure or a climging barometer rather than a low and steady, or falling baromoter. (Which coincides with storms and whatnot) When it gets extremely cold, deer will bed down for days on end not moving at all. Their metabolism slows way down so they conserve energy. They feed when they have to or when it gets warmer during the day. Of course, rut and hunting pressure can change deer behavior.