Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what temp do you still butcher your own deer. >

what temp do you still butcher your own deer.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what temp do you still butcher your own deer.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default what temp do you still butcher your own deer.

Ok the last few days it has been in the mid 80s. The temp for the first two days of season is 71. At what temps will you still butcher your own deer or take it to the proccesser. I have a 8200 btu windo air condtioner i thought i could use in the gagare to get it down to around 64.
I also have a fridge in the garage i can get it down when i get atleast quarterd
what would you do
Old 09-23-2008, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what temp do you still butcher your own deer.

If the weather is warm, I bone the meat into large chunks and place them in Cabela's Alaskan Game bags. I then through all the meat into a couple large coolers, open the drain valve and pack them in ice. I will keep refreshing the ice for a couple days to let them age. I do not have access to the large refrigerators, so this method works for aging the meat in warmer temperatures.

I personally would rather process the deer immediately then take it to be processed. The taste is much better when I do it myself and I get the cuts the way I like them.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:11 AM

As long as you can get it cut up and put in the fridge, You'll be ok. It only takes an hour to get it cut up in large chunks. Also you might want to do it at night when it's cooler.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

propelm with that is what do i do with it untill dark. we get 40s at night in oct here. so it is a good idea not sure what to do till then
ORIGINAL: badassbowtech

As long as you can get it cut up and put in the fridge, You'll be ok. It only takes an hour to get it cut up in large chunks. Also you might want to do it at night when it's cooler.