Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is the minimum temp for hanging a deer??? >

What is the minimum temp for hanging a deer???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the minimum temp for hanging a deer???

Old 10-21-2004, 03:23 AM

Default What is the minimum temp for hanging a deer???

Well today is the first day of a new youth deer season. I'm taking the boy out this morning. My buddy offered to butcher my deer for me this year. I know how to skin and de-bone but no nothing about steaking. The only problem with him doing it is that he'll be out of town until this weekend. How long can the deer be hung without the meat going bad??? I'm in PA and it's not supposed to get much above 50 today and at night the temp goes down to upper 30's to lower 40's
Old 10-21-2004, 04:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What is the minimum temp for hanging a deer???

Your at the edge of temperatures that I would let one hang for two or three days. If you must hang for a few days keep the skin on. Keep him, I hope, in the shade. I would spend a few bucks and stuff the cavity with twenty or thirty pounds of ice, keep the ice in the bags so it doesn’t drain on the meat, then you should be OK..
Old 10-21-2004, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Venison is gold around my house , I wouldn't risk it! If you know how to skin and debone , getter done! If you want your backstraps butterflied or hind quarter cut into steaks , no big deal. Cut the hind quarters off , wrap them in freezer paper and toss them in the freezer. If your buddy cuts the hind quarter steaks like a butcher does (with a saw) it's best done when meat is frozen. If you want steaks cut without a saw , let us know , there are lots of folks here who can give you directions.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

It's not that hard to cut up ya own meat, not like ya cutting up a cattle beast. follow the grain in the meat, in the back legs i pocket the meat in sections and then cut it in to steaks. don't be afraid to have a go. it can save ya alot of time out in the field too. Best of luck.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:19 AM

I heard on radio that meat will spoil after 1 hour in 40 degree temperature. It seems like people in this forum let the deer hang for much longer that that in slightly higher temps. I don't risk it if it is warmer that 50, I usually gut the deer and leave it over night and chop it up first thing in the morning!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard on radio that meat will spoil after 1 hour in 40 degree temperature
What temperature is a refridgerator? If it's below 32 it becomes a freezer. We take steaks out of the fridge and sit them on the counter for a while to warm them up a bit before throwing them on the grill.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:12 AM

I'm also from PA and in the past we've left deer(skined and cleaned) hang in my grandmothers garage for a few days before could get them cut up. The temperature was warm enough that you could just where a light coat/long sleeve shirt, I'd say mid 40's maybe.

If you have a cool area like that you can leave it (garage, shed, etc) i'd guess that it would be safe. Really we're only talking about one day here correct? Thursday you get the deer and clean it up. Friday it sits. Saturday your buddy returns and cuts it up.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

A meat cooler will range 35-38 degrees, they age beef for 10-14 days in these coolers. So the claim 40 degrees 1 hour...well I call BS.

The night time temp is fine for hanging, the 50's daytime may cause some concern but if kept in a cool dry place should be ok if for a short duration a day or so. This fall our breaker popped unknowingly on our walk in cooler and 2 elk hung with no cooling the inside temperature rose to 50's degrees until noticed(day). The meat was quarter prior and absolutely fine the only loss was a bit of skin over but that happens in any cooler enviroment. I was sure we were going to experience rot but it wasn't the case. I certainly wouldn't suggest to hang game in 50's temperature on purpose though but if your talking a day you should be ok.

Other option is pack body with ice if temp rises higher than expected or as suggested remove your rear hams and refrigerate for steaks/roasts. The backstraps can also be removed and kept whole for steaking. The fronts personally I don't care for steak use and would just debone for jerky, grind or sausage. Tloins should be gone upon gutting and if like me directly to the pan
Old 10-21-2004, 12:27 PM

OK then, it probably is BS
Old 10-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your that worried just hang over night to cool, next day skin and quarter it, put in fridge till your buddy gets there.

Quick Reply: What is the minimum temp for hanging a deer???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.