Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Deer hanging temp question?? >

Deer hanging temp question??

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Deer hanging temp question??

Old 11-20-2007, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer hanging temp question??

Hi everyone,

How long can I leave a deer hang? The temp is 58 degrees now with a low of 50 tonight. No sun, and very cool in garage. Will it be alright to cool for a day or two? Got him this morning with my Omega. I posted here cause this is the best forum and I know a lot ofpeople here already from earlier this bow season!!! Thanks alot!!

chris
Old 11-20-2007, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer hanging temp question??

Those are great temps for hanging a deer Chris. You have plenty of time to butcher. Wouldn't hurt a bit to wait until the weekend. Keep him in the package/skin and show us some pics.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

Got this off another site.............I've always heard under 40 degrees.

Beyond the quality of the preparation period, the length of time for aging game depends on a number of variables including temperature, chill rate, species, age of animal and cooler space. The recommended temperature range for holding meat for aging is between 34 and 37 degrees Fahrenheit. This allows the enzymes to do their work but helps to prevent the rampant spread of bacteria. Ideally, game should be chilled quickly to 34 degrees and maintained at this temperature for the entire aging period, usually up to a week or more for large game like deer, elk and moose. If the animal is older, then up to two weeks of aging often helps to further tenderize the meat. If the chill rate has been slower, typically when carcasses are held in the hunting camp for a few days under less than ideal conditions, then aging times will be shorter.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Planter, I figured he'd be alright for a couple days. I'll post some pics later when I get him back. Gotta go get the 4x4 jeep and drag him out! I got him to the old logging trail....lol....

chris
Old 11-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Chris your temps are a little on the high side, but your probually talking about the temps which the weather man gives for the day correct. When an animal is inside a garage hanging, the temps are usually a little cooler inside there (deep doors closed to help keep the heat out) so this will help you.

2 or 3 days at this temp should be ok, but over all it will shorten your hanging times. What Bigg-BirddVA posted is good info. The higher the temp, the process is faster (why we hang the meat). Not many of us have proper coolers to hang meat at the optium temps so it will become experiance that will guide you. I personally will hang the meat as long as I can. That is, if it is left another day, it will be too late (actually it is about 2 - 3 days not 1, before it crosses the line to spoilage) then I butcher it. I leave the skin on, hang the animal, pry open the chest cavity for air circulation then keep a watch on the inside ribs. If you notice that the inside ribs start to get slippery, then it is time to butcher the deer. This is how I do my animals (over 30 years doing it this way), but there are many different methods as you will probually hear about in this thread.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Guys, remember that your refrigerators at home come set at 40* for a reason.You can change it if you want, but 40* is what is recommended.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

As a former deer processor I can tell you that 34 degrees is ideal to hang a deer for an extended ammount of time. That's what we keep our cooler set at. With temps in the 50's hang it in the shade or a garage as suggested, prop open the body cavity and place a bag of ice in it daily.Get that deer processed inside of 3 days or you may regret it.
That's my 2 cents worth...

xbowbarry
Old 11-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with the flow Buckhunter and the consensus seems to be to butcher asap at those temps. It looks like I know what your gonna be doing Thankgiving morning.

I thought 50's and in the shade would be OK for at least a few days. Except early season I don't mind letting them hang around for awhile. Have fun and keep your knives sharp.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:21 PM

I consider Planter one of our good sources of info. He has probably done it at them temps and still been ok and is still here to talk about it! LOL!! I have always been told that the out side temp should not get above 45 in the high of day and no direct sun at them temps also. To me I would be nervous of anything over 50. I also am playing with the age meat game. I was not able to process MY eight point since I had to work the weekend after the hunt. But my BB was cut up the next afternoon and it is good eating. The next deer I can get and have time to cut up will be cut up ASAP if I can just to try and figure this aging stuff out for myself, to many mixed thoughts on it. I will also admit I worry about deer meat temps more then I should maybe. My BB was a fifteen dollar tag, that night I spent 40 bucks on ice till the next day! [&:]
Old 11-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

with only 50 deg lows i wouldn't leave it one night.you need 45deg or less.most frig's are not turned down far enough.

Quick Reply: Deer hanging temp question??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.