Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can' t stand venison

Old 11-26-2003, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can' t stand venison

I agree, Just don' t waste the meat and I see no problem at all with it.

Brian
Old 11-26-2003, 09:37 PM

As long as the meat goes to someone who needs it, it' s not wasted. I' ve never gone hunting just to kill a deer though. It' s always been to get out in the woods and away from the stresses of everyday life, and to put meat in the freezer. Mainly for the meat though. I find I get some crazy cravings for deer meat when I have to start buying beef or pork again. Going to try and keep my freezer stocked for most of the year this year, but I think that may be a bit tough to do. Got a doe on the 15th of Nov (today is the 26th of Nov), and I only have one hind-quarter and the backstraps left in the freezer... ...got a buck last Friday and already used the front legs off it for ground meat. Just can' t keep the deer in the freezer this year.

Thunder
Old 11-26-2003, 09:42 PM

Well, you could always say it' s the most expensive meat around, runs around $187.00 a pound, time you figure in all the little thing that add up....Heck even Higher than lobster....NP give it to the needy......Drive on kill clean,,
Old 11-27-2003, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

What better gift to give to someone then a nice venison dinner. There are thousands of people that go hungry every day in this country,what could possible be wrong with giving food away.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:13 AM

Thank you all. Yous have really made me feel better about what I am doing. Seen a nice doe this morning. She kept looking behind her like something was there but he never showed himself. Will be heading back out today right after I stuff myself looking for that elusive wall hanger.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

To your original question: don' t have a problem with giving the meat away.

To the issue of not liking venison. I think there are 2 main reasons that people don' t like venison: tastes " gamey" and it is tough. I have never killed and processed a deer that tasted gamey, however I have had some killed by other people. I think the main reason is what happens after they hit the ground. It is imperative that the deer be bled out well. A heart?lung shot does this nicely, but if you shoot in the neck, it may not, so you may need to cut the throat to bleed it out if the heart is still beating. Second, I gut the deer immediately where it lays. I don' t take it somewhere and have a delay in gutting. Especially if it happens to be gut shot, it doesn' t take long for the bacteria to start to spread (as soon as 2-3 hours even if it isn' t gut shot). The meat must then been cooled quickly and kept cold. This usually means skinning, however, on smaller deer when the temp is freezing anyway this may not be necessary. As far as being tough, the thing that makes the most difference is waiting a minumum of 2 days (3 days is better) before cutting up the meat.

I have fed venison to many people who tell me they can' t believe it is venison because it don' t taste gamey. As others have said, prepearation/spicing can make the difference too, but I hardly ever put anything but salt on mine. Just slice it thin while it is still half frozen (which helps with toughness too) and fry it in marerine or butter.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:06 AM

This possibly could make you change your mind.

Pepper seared venison steaks with mushroom wine sauce

Cut a dear loin into steaks about an inch thick. Make sure all fat an sinew are removed. In a skillet sautee two cloves of crushed garlic in one part butter one part olive oil until garlic starts to brown then remove. Rub steaks with olive oil and press into crushed black pepper. Add steaks to skillet and sear on both sides to desired doneness. Remove to a platter add another 2 T of butter sautee 1/2 C sliced mushrooms, 1/2 C chopped scallions until tender. Add 1 1/2 C beef broth or beef consume. Heat to boil, turn on low add 1/2 cup red wine with 1 tsp corn starch mixed in heat to simmer add 2 T dark brown sugar. Simmer until slightly thickened pour over deer loin steaks. Killer!!

Let me know what you think if you decide to try it.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. It' s too bad that you don' t take the time and effort to process you own deer. If you did you would enjoy the taste of venison. You would not be able to tell it from beef except for the texture. Venison has a finer texture than beef. It all starts in the field with proper cleaning and carries on to the butchering. you must remove all fat ,sinew, and silver/blue membrain. This takes a couple of hours of work. A deer processor can' t take that long to do a deer. They just band saw every thing and wrap it up. Meat should be cut with a knife and the bones then sawn. If you bandsaw the meat it drags bone dust,and marrow into the meat giving it a bad taste. I debone everything and have great meat. A lot of people comment that my venison tastes good compared to what they had had before, and want to know my secret marinade or recipe. I tell them its no secret just respect for the animal harvested and care in handling and prepairing.