Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can' t stand venison

Old 11-26-2003, 03:10 PM

Default Can' t stand venison

I love to deer hunt but I cant stand the taste of venison. A couple people have told me you shouldnt kill what you dont eat. I understand that to an extent. I love to hunt and only shoot racks. The bucks I do shoot dont go to waste because someone always wants a deer. Do you see anything wrong with this?
Old 11-26-2003, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can' t stand venison

Mike - you and I may get slammed on this one but no, I find nothing wrong with it at all. Let' s face it, more than likely none of us out here kill deer because we need the food. It' s the rush of the sport that keeps us going out. If you donate your venison to a soup kitchen or a feed the hungry program, or Joe Friend that didn' t get his deer, what' s wrong with that? It' s certainly going for a good cause. When it comes right down to it, society as well as the deer need hunters because deer populations need to be controlled. Think all the deer on the hundreds of hunting videos made every year are going in the hunter' s freezer? Do the Drury Brothers eat 847 deer a year? Don' t think so. Shoot em because you like to. Donate the meat because you like to.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:33 PM

As long as it feeds someone I see no problem.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

There is nothing wrong with that as long as the meat is not wasted.You might want to give the meat a second chance.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:43 PM

i to do not care a lot for the taste, but i use every ounce after i have it made into jerky or sausage
Old 11-26-2003, 03:56 PM

hey its not going to waste so theres no problem with it.maybe try to soak the meat in buttermilk or in apple juice.that takes the gamey taste, thats the only way my mom will eat it.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Howdy
I never liked venison either, nor did my family. The only way we' d eat it was having it processed into sausage, brats, landejaggers, etc. Which was expensive, but I to believe you or somebody else eats what you shoot.
That was when I was after nice bucks with my bow. Generally they were rutting and the meat wasn' t that great. Then came the antlerless tags and I shot a few does. You know we all like the meat when its from a doe or buck prior to the rut.
Rutting bucks go into processed meats.
Dan
Old 11-26-2003, 04:22 PM

I will have to try that
Old 11-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don' t see anything wrong as long as the deer does not go to waste! You get to enjoy the sport and someone else enjoys the fruits of your labor!
Old 11-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing wrong as long as it isn' t being tossed. Believe me a lot of hunters go through the expense to process and only to chuck meat right before a new season, which in my opinion is much worse than giving to someone that will gladly use it and just being honest.

Many ways to make game taste better. One is to care for the meat as soon as the animal is harvested, another is to remove fat(talc) and silver skin, merinades are another good way and most importantly cook it rare. Personally I love wild meat and eat it more often than store bought foods, my wife only use to like sausage from game but no loves it all. The secret is care, preperation, spice and cooking. While bucks tend to have more silver skin, if this is removed and your left with a choice chuck of solid meat just merinade it for a night and beer and spice. Wrap that sucker in bacon and grill on the BBQ for 7-10 minutes a side on med heat, you' ll think you' ve died and went to heaven. Just had some last night off a older rut filled buck and it tasted no different than the doe I shot in bow season. Front shoulder, flank & lower leg muscle meat all go to grind...keep them backstraps, tenderloins and hams for the solid pieces of meat(steaks, stew, roasts and jerky). Necks most the time end up in stew or jerky. Give it a try when you take the time to prepare it and think of it as a nice striploin steak...which you don' t want to overcook or use ketchup Be amazed at how them tastebuds will dangle, if it ain' t for you then feel no shame your making others happy and still enjoying the sport[8D]

Quick Reply: Can' t stand venison

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.