Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can' t stand venison

Old 11-26-2003, 04:54 PM

Default RE: Can' t stand venison

I hear you Mike - Don' t really care for it myself

over the years I have created a long list of eager takers when it comes to venison.

I enjoy given it out
Old 11-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing wrong with that at all as long as the meat is being used. I think there is something else that should be within all hunters , but maybe more in the hunters that don' t enjoy the meat. I think there should be a respect and admiration for the animal. There should be a real passion for the hunt and the animal you hunt. Otherwise it would be simply murdering. I think the majority of hunters share this feeling especially the ones that don' t do it for meat, or why would they even be out there. Unless they got a rush from killing. I like venison myself, but like Badshot said I' m not out there because I' m going to starve if I don' t harvest one. I find the whitetail deer fascinating and hunting in general fascinating. I' ve excelled in sports all my life. One sport at the professional level. I can say that hunting is the ultimate sport. Without a doubt the most challenging I' ve come across.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:59 PM

A couple uses you might enjoy. We grind up our meat and use it in making chili and spaghetti. This is one place it works great, no fat to skim off. There is no gamey taste due to the spices and sauces in the mix. The wife told me just this week that I better get busy, we were out of ground meat. Dropped a nice fat doe this afternoon.

Russ
Old 11-26-2003, 05:26 PM

I wouldn' t do it, but if you want to, and make sure the meat gets eaten, what the hey. I have hunted with a guy who' s a great hunter and shot, but doesn' t eat the meat because his wife and kids don' t like it. Oh, he' ll take a couple of cuts for himself. But he always gets a deer or two which means less " meat" pressure for the rest of us (the guys I hunt with are meat first, trophies only if they happen along). -zeke.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:32 PM

Let' s face it, more than likely none of us out here kill deer because we need the food.
You' re dead wrong on that one Bob. Shooting a deer or two between my father and I saves our family a couple hundred dollars per year in meat. And let me tell you, we NEED the meat. Think before you make statements like that.

Back to the original topic.

Mike, I find nothing wrong with what you' re doing just so long as the meat doesnt go to waste. Personally I love Venison so feel free to ship me any left-overs!
Old 11-26-2003, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would hope that you at least clean it yourself, I think you owe that deer some respect. The least you could do is clean it, after all he gave his life to you.

Deer when properly prepared can be so gooooood. You wouldnt even taste a hint of wild game. Also if nothing else make some jerky out of it, this is excellent. Half the fun I receive from shooting deer is doing things with the meat. I' ve even started making my own sausage. Its nice to impress friends and family when you hand out sausage or jerky that you made yourself.
I have friends that kill deer, quarter it up , wrap it up and stick it in the freezer never to touch it again. That really pisses me off. Just as long as it does get eaten, I see no problem.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You' re dead wrong on that one Bob. Shooting a deer or two between my father and I saves our family a couple hundred dollars per year in meat. And let me tell you, we NEED the meat. Think before you make statements like that.
And to you Mr. Washington Hunter I say, READ before you strike back where there was no offense. I clearly typed " more than likely" . So if you can' t comprehend, let me enlighten you - I was purposely careful when I wrote that because I personally know people who not only hunt, but poach because they NEED the meat. So I figured there may be people out here on the giant WWW that may NEED the meat, hence " more than likely" , meaning that I am not sure so I won' t make that comment as a fact. Leaving it open if you know what I mean. OK? You understand now? Good.

Mike - try this (just learned this tonight): a guy I know handed me a cold, grilled the day before chunk of venison. Now I don' t even like cold beef too much, but this was outstanding. I asked him what he had done - his wife boils the stuff before grilling. He claims it boils out the talo and gamey taste. Must have been right because you wouldn' t have known it was venison.

Old 11-26-2003, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

mike soak venison in Italian Dressing, very tasty!!!!!!!! I to see nothing wrong with not eating what you kill as long as it is not wasted![:-]
Old 11-26-2003, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot them, skin and gut them, put them in the cooler and give them away. Rarely do I bring any vinison home with me.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

No waste, no worry.

Quick Reply: Can' t stand venison

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.