Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Day Hunting in Texas?

Old 11-18-2003, 11:41 PM

Default Day Hunting in Texas?

Can anyone recommend a lease for day bowhunting in South Texas? I have searched all the lease.coms and newspapers but, really can' t trust what you read. I am looking for a chance at a 140 class whitetail. Hunting the hill country right now where the genetics are not allowing the opportunity to see one of these. I would appreciate any feedback you can give. You can email me direct if you would rather not publish this on this board. Thanks
Old 11-19-2003, 11:04 AM

Default RE: Day Hunting in Texas?

I' ve got a friend that swears by the Helm Ranch. They seem pretty reasonable and you can access all info via the web. Their site is helmranch.com

I' ve never hunted it myself but maybe it' s a good starting point. Another good idea is to check out the website of www.texasbowhunter.com

There is a complete forum on day leases. They rate them all with lots of hunter feedback.

Good luck on your search.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

My personal opinion would be I would be leary of thinking I could find a day lease where a 140+ buck was a real possibility. The nature of the beast is that they let a lot of people hunt over the course of a season, so it would seem hard to maintain quality unless they had very strict quotas on bucks, after which they did not allow hunting. If such were the case, you might set up a hunt for a month down the road and be called at the last minute to not come because their quotas have been met. If they don' t do that, how could they have good quality?

As far as the hill country not having the genetics to produce 140+ bucks, not true. As a rule the hill country does not have the NUTRITION to produce those bucks, but there are exceptions, mainly ones that have a year round feeding program. You give hill country bucks unlimited ideal nutrition, and they will grow some enormous racks. That of course, would make it a very expensive place to hunt.

Good luck in your search
Old 11-19-2003, 01:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-19-2003, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the link Bowjunkie, it has alot of good info.

Txhunter,
You are right about the genetics in the hill country. I was thinking nutrition but typing something else. Although my area does have suspect genes that are difficult to make extinct.... as for the 140+, I am just looking for someone to give me feedback on a day lease that they have had success in seeing quality animals. I am on a lease that has lots of deer(mostly 100-120 class) which we manage heavily. But even with the management, as you said, there has to be year round protein feed which is a little too expensive to maintain.
I guess I am just tired of seeing the same 110 class animals with no light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. I should feel blessed just to see the animals i do see.

Anyway thanks for the feedback