Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

am i hunting wrong?

Old 10-30-2003, 01:59 PM

Default RE: am i hunting wrong?

ORIGINAL: deerhunter1224

It seems like everyone is filling their tags, but me. I have had a few does within range shot at one and missed. I had a really nice eight pointer but froze and couldnt shoot. Havent seen him since then. Had a 4 pointer within range didnt want to take him. Am I doing something wrong? Do I smell that bad that the deer avoid me. Gee I spray myself down with raccoon pee and fresh earth. I try and have the wind in my favor where I believe the deer are going to come from. Help me out here I know you dont know what I maybe doing wrong since you are not hunting along with me. Give me some insight to things I could be doing wrong.
Can' t understand your question. Sounds like you could have / should have filled your tag. I don' t mean this as a criticism - we' ve all BTDT, but your description contradicts your question, imho. You' ve seen several deer within shot range. You' ve missed, chosen not to shoot and " frozen" . Therefore, it' s not your hunting techniqe but maybe shooting *if anything*. The only thing I could suggest is (1) go ahead and harvest the next legal deer you see to break the ice (don' t pass up any legal shots - really a lot of time the first one is a tough shot to make, but after that it becomes less stressful to make the shot) and (2) practice shooting more so you' ll be less likely to " freeze up" . Now if you' d said you' ve hunted two or three years without seeing a deer within shot range, I might make some suggestions. But even that could be just bad luck and not bad technique, depending on where you hunt. My final advice is keep up the good work because you' re seeing a lot of " shootable" deer. -zeke
Old 10-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is my 3rd bow season with my mathews and though I' ve hunted hard, this year is the first opportunity I' ve had to take deer with that bow and I' ve taken two. Before this dry spell, I took a couple of deer yearly with a bow and a couple with the rifle. It just goes in spells. Look at cardeer, he' s had all kind of bad luck this year.
How come you froze on the 8 point?
Old 10-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know why I froze. I never had shot a arrow at a deer before. A real deer that is. Heck at home I hit the target about every time.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:06 PM

Could be just one of those years, last year I was ready to give up archery hunting, I missed about 5 deer (missed completely). I shoot my bow all year long at 3-d courses; I just couldnt figure it out.Now this year I have no doe tags left and only 1 buck tag, two shots, two kills. I guess it just wasn' t my time to bag a deer.Just put your time in, it will come.