Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wrong Hunting Location >

Wrong Hunting Location

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wrong Hunting Location

Old 09-29-2005, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wrong Hunting Location

First a short story. I went hunting with a friend about five years ago over in Leavenworth WA and we didn't see any mule deer. I told Jim that we needed to go over to Spokane and I would take him up to our deer hill. So we packed up and headed over. I put Jim in a prime spot while Gary and I walked the ridge. Right at daybreak a coyote emptied the valley and we didn't see anything. Late that afternoon I spooked up a bear (didn't even know one was in the area) and Jim was able to shoot down the hill from me. The next morning we flushed up a herd of elk and Gary nailed a nice 5x5, I got a cow and somebody else shot another cow. I laughed at Jim and told him I had been hunting all wrong for years. I had actually hunted for deer when I went deer hunting......from now on I was going to go deer hunting when I wanted an elk...or bear...

Well I found out last night that I've been hunting the wrong place for deer. I've been driving an hour north, spending hours in a tree stand to see nothing. Truly frustrating and proving the point of another post of being a bad hunter. Well my eyes were opened last night...We live in a neighborhood with a couple of acres of granite rocks, trees, and grass across the street. I have a half acre around my house that is all fenced in except the driveway. I have an apple tree in the front yard full of apples. We drive up last night and four does run out in front of me out from under MY apple tree. I started laughing and told my wife that I've been hunting in the wrong place all year. I went out to my van and got a bag of corn and poured it under the apple tree and put a bucket of water out there for them. I was going to climb the power pole near by but my wife told me to just climb out on the roof of the house. Now were talking....I think I will just leave the front door open, watch some TV and wait for them to return...talk about a stand ...climate controlled, weather proof, refrigerator, TV, the wife.......now were talking.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:17 AM

Default RE: Wrong Hunting Location

Sounds alot like some people's concept of QDM!Don't worry , I've been there. I hunted one season very hard in S Carolina, and Georgia. 2 weeks into the season and not a sighting. I was getting really frustrated. I was sitting in the treestand--bored--and called my wife. She said that she was sitting in the living room watching a 6 pointer bedded down in my back yard! I guess he knew where to feel safe!
Old 09-29-2005, 08:23 AM

I live in MD in a development and leave for work at 5:00am.

I've jumped this doe in my front yard about 4-5 times in the last 10 days. She is usually in the street. I don't have any fruit trees but it's nice to see a deer when I first wake up.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you wear a safety harness in your Lazy Boy? What kind of survival gear do you have..the remote control and an afghan ??