Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

am i hunting wrong?

Old 10-29-2003, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default am i hunting wrong?

It seems like everyone is filling their tags, but me. I have had a few does within range shot at one and missed. I had a really nice eight pointer but froze and couldnt shoot. Havent seen him since then. Had a 4 pointer within range didnt want to take him. Am I doing something wrong? Do I smell that bad that the deer avoid me. Gee I spray myself down with raccoon pee and fresh earth. I try and have the wind in my favor where I believe the deer are going to come from. Help me out here I know you dont know what I maybe doing wrong since you are not hunting along with me. Give me some insight to things I could be doing wrong.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:43 PM

Default RE: am i hunting wrong?

sounds like you might just be trying to hard, just go enjoy the hunt. Maybe you are the lucky one because your friends have to stay home and watch football while you still get to hunt.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

lmao...hint..don' t freeze the next time that 8 point comes by ......

in all seriousness passing them is like getting one in my book...if you want meat , shoot a doe......i haven' t shot anything but a hog, i' ve seen some , but no bucks...i moved my stand.....much better place...on a rubline facing the marsh and the woods...it' s awesome....best of both world' s
Old 10-29-2003, 06:52 PM

I would have to agree with bigcat, it sounds like you may be trying to hard. In many parts of the U.S. and Canada seeing the number of deer that you have seen would be considered a great year. Just relax and enjoy the fact that you are able to enjoy so many hunting opportunities and hopefully the " Red Gods" will soon smile your way. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2003, 07:06 PM

Your seeing deer,, do you have doe tags?? If so what are you waiting for? Use one put some meat in the freezer, and everything else is a bonus! Seriously you will relax and it will pay off. I know alot of guys that get all worked up when they step into the field,, its the wrong attitude to have! Relax, you will be more patient, observant and you will read the sign much better. I firmly believe deer can sense there is a person that is " wired for sound" in the bush, someone relaxed is unnoticed!
Old 10-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I DONT KNOW CALL ME AND I WILL COME AND HUNT YOUR STANDS FOR A WHILE AND THEN I WILL BE ABLE TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU ARE DOING WRONG IF ANYTHING
Old 10-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

edited
Old 10-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

We' ve all been through the tough times. It' s just something you have to work through. My advice would be to try a couple new stands and give your old ones some time to recover. You may find a new hotspot. Those deer have to be going somewhere.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

My advice is relax and not worry about shooting deer just enjoy the moment. But not to relaxed so you freeze next time! If your seeing deer but haven' t had an opportunity that means something is working. If the deer are out of range move you location or stand to help bring them in range if possible. Try calling or rattling. I have hunted since sept for my muley buck and have yet to shoot, yes I have seen many: some close, some to far, some big and some small but it is a part of hunting. Keep your chin up, going out and have fun(don' t be hard on yourself, hey you passed a deer which is more than many can say)...good things happen for those who wait. A change of scenery can also help energize the sole and drive, so move around to a different spot for an evening or morning...never know what may come of it.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:10 PM

Why did you freeze when the 8 point came by? If it was because he was locked onto you, not much you can do except what you did, freeze! If it was due to buck fever, well....it happens to all of us at one time or another, and will be overcome with experience. It sounds like you are doing pretty much everything right, but just haven' t had your chance yet. Be patient, and your opportunity will come!

Quick Reply: am i hunting wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.