Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 wolf hunting- did I do something wrong? >

wolf hunting- did I do something wrong?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wolf hunting- did I do something wrong?

Old 10-11-2005, 02:18 PM

Default wolf hunting- did I do something wrong?

Yesterday morning, 1/2 before sunrise Isaw two does running full tilt across the field from my stand. I did not know why, because there were no other hunters, and they could not have winded me. Anyway, about 1 minute later a largecanine came trotting down the trail angled towards my stand. As it approached to 30 yards, I hastily drew my bow. It stopped at 27 yards and stared at my direction. I lined up my pin and squeezed the trigger.
I saw the arrow land on the trail and it looked like a clean miss. The animal turned on a dime and started trotting back the way it came. It stopped at the top of a rise and stared back in my direction. Then it wasgone. I started to ask myself was thata really big coyote? or a wolf? It had a grey coat, and face with black and white coloured fur. The large size of the tracks answered my question.
I hunted for a few more hours and then get down to retrieve my arrow. I wassurprised to find it wascovered in blood and one muzzy blade was bent really badly. That animal did not act as if it was hit at all! I trailed the wolf for the rest of the day. I tracked the blood trail for over 700 yards. I found three bloody beds(but I don't think I was bumping it). Eventually it got into a thickblack spruce bog. I trailed it on my hands and knees (very wet!)butonly found one small blood drop in my lasttwo hours of searching. Since I could not find any more blood and it was getting dark, I gave up.
I have never trailed a canine/predator before, did I do anything wrong? Does anyone have any hints or suggestions in case this ever happens again? I feel awful, but I know I tried my best.

P.S. It is legal to hunt wolves in Manitoba with a deer license.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wolf hunting- did I do something wrong?

It is my opinion that you should have known about the legality of your shot before you pulled the trigger.

Tom
Old 10-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

I don't believe he is asking our opinion of legality. He states right in his post that it is legal to shoot a wolf in Manitoba with a deer license. He is asking about trailing a wounded wolf or coyote. Read the post before jumping on him.
I think you did the right thing. I know coyotes can be very tough to kill if you don't hit them exactly right with a rifle. They can also run a long way when wounded, and a swamp is where they will head. Tough place to look this time of year.
Brian
Old 10-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Legality is Deiffinately not the issue! Just remember the three S'.....
Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: statjunk

It is my opinion that you should have known about the legality of your shot before you pulled the trigger.

Tom
what legality would that be???

I think you did all you could do,you did a long track job , sorry you just didn't catch up.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

puch
Old 10-11-2005, 07:58 PM

YES I THINK YOU DID OK
ORIGINAL: ostdc

I don't believe he is asking our opinion of legality. He states right in his post that it is legal to shoot a wolf in Manitoba with a deer license. He is asking about trailing a wounded wolf or coyote. Read the post before jumping on him.
I think you did the right thing. I know coyotes can be very tough to kill if you don't hit them exactly right with a rifle. They can also run a long way when wounded, and a swamp is where they will head. Tough place to look this time of year.
Brian
Old 10-11-2005, 08:42 PM

Legality is Deiffinately not the issue! Just remember the three S'.....
Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up!
LOL..BAWAHAAA
Old 10-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is sad that you guys can't read. Look at his P.S.

To the guy who said to shoot, shovel and shut up. You have no respect for wild life management. Too bad.

Tom
Old 10-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

statjunk, I don't see what you're seeing. He clearly states in his P.S. that it IS LEGAL to shoot a wolf with a deer license.
Brian

Quick Reply: wolf hunting- did I do something wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.