Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DEER HUNTER IN NEED?

Old 10-22-2003, 12:59 PM

Default DEER HUNTER IN NEED?

HEY,
I HUNT 30-35 ACRES OF WOODS IN MONROE COUNTY ILLINOIS THEY ARE BOTTOMS. I HAVEN' T BEEN ABLE TO SEE ANY DEER LATELY LAST SUNDAY I WOKE UP LATE AT AROUND 5;30 OR SO AND GOT TO MY STAND LATE WHAT I COME TO FIND OUT HTE DEER ARE BEDDING ON THE ROAD I' VE BEEN USING TO WALK TO MY STAND. THERE' S SOYBEANS AND CORN SURROUNDING THESE WOODS ON ALL SIDES BUT THERE' S A NOTHER SECTION OF WOODS A BIG SECTION THAT BUTTS INTO IT OKAY THE ROAD LOOPS AROUND THE SOYBEAN FIELD THAT GOES INTO THE WOODS. I USE THIS CAUSE IT' S BASICALLY THE QUIETIST AND ONLY WAY TO GET TO IT. WHAT DO I DO.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DEER HUNTER IN NEED?

If you will be spooking the deer going to your stand, you will have to take another route to the stand.
If that is not an option, and I have had the same situation myself, this is where stealth and being scent free become even more important than they normally are!
You need to get to your stand extra early, get there long before they bed down!
IF you are scent free, very quiet and possibly get there before they do, you might have a good chance! When the deer are nearby, get to your stand quickly, quietly and I can' t stress this enough, SCENT-FREE! Then wait ' em out!
I have had many deer cross trails that I had just walked across.
I know that it is almost impossible not to make any noise, but in the dark if you make very little noise, and move quickly through the area, the deer will not be disturbed, and forget about you within a little while!
Remember, quick, quiet, early, and scent free! Maybe your only option!
Good luck!
Old 10-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Have you tried an afternoon hunt. Setup on the trails they take between the food and the bedding area.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:48 AM
Dominant Buck

What JagMagMan said , and this: You' ve got a real tough area to enter without getting busted by your boots , descent your boots and smear the soles with deer poo before entering . The smell will relax them unless it' s a deer that' s new to the area , even then they may follow the smell to check out the new kid . Use poo from a single deer , preferably a doe . I use Deer Dander too so any remaining scent doesn' t spook them . Between reducing your human scent , and covering it up with one they recognize , you should have a little easier time getting in .
Old 10-23-2003, 04:59 PM

Just stay the night in your stand. Duh
Old 10-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you hunt the way you type (all caps is shouting-loud), no wonder.